Gym Routine??? Is this adequate?

I've been going to the gym for 5 weeks now about 5-6 days a week, but, I don't have a "plan" for when I go. I need help figuring out an adequate gym routine regarding how much and when to do legs/arms/abs during the week.

My "routine": Cardio for 20 minutes- then hit almost every machine and do arms and abs and legs as well as use the dumbbells for about 40 minute. (hour total at the gym). Repeated 5-6x week.

Pretty much I go into the gym blind and do everything each day I go.

What is a good routine??? I need help figuring this out so I don't just do a full body workout everyday, unless it's adequate enough.

Thanks!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    edited March 2018
    Probably not the best use of time. depending on your goals, the 20 min cardio is fine.

You may want to look into structured programs instead of winging it. check out starting strength, or strong curves as examples of well-structured beginner routines. these also focus on compound lifts, which any good program should have those as the foundation.

The exact routine may be goal dependent, so what are you looking for fitness wise?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    What are your goals?
  • KaleiAlanaSmith
    KaleiAlanaSmith Posts: 133 Member
    What are your goals?

Currently Im 136 pounds, 5'8 and want to be around 130, lean and strong. I've come a long way in 5 weeks in regards to strength! I'm just tired of going to the gym and doing everything because I don't have a plan.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited March 2018
    What are your goals?

Currently Im 136 pounds, 5'8 and want to be around 130, lean and strong. I've come a long way in 5 weeks in regards to strength! I'm just tired of going to the gym and doing everything because I don't have a plan.

There's a thread about lifting programmes... read that and pick a programme
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I've been going to the gym for 5 weeks now about 5-6 days a week, but, I don't have a "plan" for when I go. I need help figuring out an adequate gym routine regarding how much and when to do legs/arms/abs during the week.

My "routine": Cardio for 20 minutes- then hit almost every machine and do arms and abs and legs as well as use the dumbbells for about 40 minute. (hour total at the gym). Repeated 5-6x week.

Pretty much I go into the gym blind and do everything each day I go.

What is a good routine??? I need help figuring this out so I don't just do a full body workout everyday, unless it's adequate enough.

Thanks!

Not very efficient...and you really shouldn't be working the same muscles and groups of muscles on consecutive days...they need recovery.

There are numerous beginner lifting programs out there...most are full body and full body programs tend to be 3x per week on non consecutive days.
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    When I started I used the Body For Life program. I still pretty much go by that but I've put my own twist on it. I don't carry my clipboard around with me anymore recording my sets.

On this page you can download exercise worksheets: https://bodyforlife.com/weight-training-plan

This way you can make a plan and then go in and do it.

Different things work for different people. This may work for you. Good luck.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    edited March 2018
    Here is the link with a good selection of programmes that was mentioned a couple of times above.

You could start with dumbbells and work towards a barbell routine, or jump right in with the barbell. Depends on what you are comfortable with and what equipment is available to you.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

If you feel you want to stick to machines for a while, here is a machine routine.
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/ultimate-beginners-machine-workout-for-women.html

Cheers, h.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    Pick one of the programs as above and give it 6 months.

You'll then have an activity and experience base to enable you to select a different program and adjust your goals as desired.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    edited March 2018
    I'm on the pick an actual program band wagon.

Your program is extremely unbalanced.

You don't touch any major muscle group except legs and it's like you repeatedly work the same muscle group.

You need to work everything. Chest, shoulders, BACK most importantly, legs, core and very last arms. If you want to become stronger and more physically capable