Sleepiness on Keto diet

Options
Hi, recently started keto a week ago and as days go by I’m feeling more and more drained (despite me getting 8 hrs of sleep).

Any advice on how to combat it, other than coffee and Mountain Dew? lol

Replies

• NewTnme
    NewTnme Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    If you are doing the diet the right way you should be getting over it soon. They call it Keto flu☹️ if not you should add more healthy carbs to your diet. Or call your doc. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water as well. Good luck!!
  • inkedrapture
    inkedrapture Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    NewTnme wrote: »
    If you are doing the diet the right way you should be getting over it soon. They call it Keto flu☹️ if not you should add more healthy carbs to your diet. Or call your doc. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water as well. Good luck!!

That makes sense, thank you!
  • lindigogo
    lindigogo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You and I are on the same time frame; Day 6 for me on keto. Other than the headache the first 3-4 days, I've been feeling fine. But I am still taking my multivitamin which I've always found helps my energy level, and I'm also adding in electrolytes, as they suggest. Mio has a berry blast flavor one with electrolytes that I add to my water - maybe that's helping?
  • neillc57
    neillc57 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think any diet with a calorie deficit has a period were you feel really tired. So a month or two in I just wanted to sleep for a week or two. Came out of it.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    NewTnme wrote: »

It probably is the "keto flu" but it is entirely preventable. Keto flu is actually an electrolyte imbalance. When you cut carbs your insulin drops and insulin is what causes water retention. As you like water weight you also lose electrolytes (sodium) which results in fatigue, brain fog, headaches, nausea, bm issues, muscle aches and eventually spasms. Most will need at least 3000-5000 mg of sodium a day (2300 mg sodium = 1 tsp table salt) in order to replace the electrolytes they have lost.

Try a few cups of salty bullion, pickle juice, or even a tsp of salt with water. Good luck!
  • doclago
    doclago Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It also depends on the type of activity you are doing.
    If you are doing high cardio and muscle demanding or powerlifting then this diet might not be for you.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Happens too me when trying to get rid of bloating/water retention (from salting too heavily/not properly measuring) & polydypsia when I cut sodium too harshly for too many consecutive days and continue doing cardio. Try to stay consistent with sodium intake

Yeah, coffee, diet Mountain Dew and caffeine for life...