Burning Calories

Options
Just a quick question. It does not show how many calories I've burnt while I've been lifting weights. Is there something I'm doing wrong or, do you not burn calories while strength training or lifting weights?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Use Strength Training under cardio.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    And strength training doesn't burn much
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    This is where you log the entire duration of your workout to get a rough estimate based on METS (note it's under the CV part of the exercise diary, the strength part is just a journal).

dmlh06yllcx5.png
  • romeandrylan
    romeandrylan Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for that information people
  • romeandrylan
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

I thought strength training/weight training burns more calories then cardio?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

nope
  • xelsoo
    xelsoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Cardio is a more "explosive" exercise, so you will generally burn more calories while doing it. On the other hand, weight lifting makes your muscles grow, which in turn keeps your metabolism working at a higher rate for longer. So while cardio burns more calories while you're at it, weight lifting will keep burning calories for longer periods of time.

To lose weight, a mix of both types of exercise is a healthy approach. The more lean muscle you have, the more energy you require to maintain it.
  • romeandrylan
    Options
    xelsoo wrote: »

Cardio is a more "explosive" exercise, so you will generally burn more calories while doing it. On the other hand, weight lifting makes your muscles grow, which in turn keeps your metabolism working at a higher rate for longer. So while cardio burns more calories while you're at it, weight lifting will keep burning calories for longer periods of time.

To lose weight, a mix of both types of exercise is a healthy approach. The more lean muscle you have, the more energy you require to maintain it.

I understand now thank you. Although, I don't do cardio at all. I do a lot of high intensity training and weights/strength training. Does this mean I still have to do cardio? I tend to push myself more during high intensity training
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

the 'afterburn' is not as great as people think, and the extra calories per extra pound of muscle is something like an extra 2 calories an hour burnt...

to lose weight a calorie deficit is the best approach, and exercise for good health.
  • romeandrylan
    Options

the 'afterburn' is not as great as people think, and the extra calories per extra pound of muscle is something like an extra 2 calories an hour burnt...

to lose weight a calorie deficit is the best approach, and exercise for good health.

Thanks for that info. This world is so friggin misleading
  • romeandrylan
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Cardio isn't just one level of course but cardio of any decent intensity will far outstrip strength training / weight training in terms of calorie burns. Also of course the duration of cardio can be far longer and it's hard to beat duration for big burns whether intentional or just a by-product of a training goal.

The after-burn effect (EPOC) is often vastly exaggerated by the baleful influence of sales and marketing departments or just wishful thinking for both weight training and HIIT style workouts but in reality is insignificant (in term of calories). A small percentage of a small number.

The other exaggeration often thrown about is the significance of muscle burning calories at rest, again pretty insignificant (c. 6 cals / day / per pound of muscle). It's going to be slightly elevated from that baseline of course as the more muscle you have the more you can do, lift more weight or create more power.

But in reality it's using your muscles (exercise AND general activity) is that is going to make the biggest calorie difference. Still not as big as the impact of moderating your calorie intake though. :)

Thanks for that. I guess it is all about eating less if you want real results. Cheers!