Calories different when adding manually (Quick add)

Hello,

As the question says it - why is it different?

Just to give you a background on what I do and have been doing this for the past 30 days. I cook a weeks worth sometimes 4 days worth of food.

So, I get all my ingredients - Powders (Salt, Chilli Powder, Tumeric), Oils, Vegetables, any beans, tofu, lentils, rice etc and add them all together using MFP and use an excel file to divide the Grams and the Calories, The Carbs, Fat & Protein (Yeah I use an excel file but it has all my ingredients, calories, grams etc laid out neatly).

Then I divide the Grams and Calories, the Carbs, Fat & Protein by 4 days, or if I'm making a meal for 2 people then divide the Grams and Calories by 2 but when I add this into MFP it's auto calculates different calories?

For example, I made a meal today for 2, the Calories should have been around 385 when I added the Divided Carbs, Fat & Protein but MFP showed me 474 Calories.

If that makes sense?

Can anyone advise, please?

Thanks

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    Did you use the same exact entries from MFP to get your calories and macros before inserting them in excel?
  • Desibouy
    Desibouy Posts: 6 Member
    Yes, I did that. After scanning or adding my ingredients, I took the information and typed them out in Excel.

The Macros (before the split) - 35 Carbs, 72 Fat & 40 Protein, Total [MFP] Calories 952.
    I entered (after division) 17.5 Carbs, 36 Fat & 20 Protein, Gave me [MFP] 474 Calories instead of 385.5 [Excel]

• bbell1985
    edited March 2018
  • Desibouy
    ?
  • bbell1985
    I posted something and it didn't make sense. Too tired to re-think my dumb thought so deleted. lol.

Re-do your recipe. I dunno. Something went wrong.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Rounding and net carbs?

MFP doesn't calculate the calories from the macros. MFP uses the calories from the calories area of the nutrition facts.

US manufacturers have flexibility in how they report the calories from fiber.
  • Desibouy
    seska422 wrote: »
    Rounding and net carbs?

MFP doesn't calculate the calories from the macros. MFP uses the calories from the calories area of the nutrition facts.

US manufacturers have flexibility in how they report the calories from fiber.

Sorry, I'm dumb and that doesn't make sense to me. All I did was enter the macros and it auto calculated. IF it's a Quick Add, how does it no what the nutrition facts are? Also, I don't understand the Fiber aspect.

• Desibouy
    eminater wrote: »
    Your macros and calories don't balance out. MFP counts Protein and Carbs as 4 cals per gram and Fat as 9 cals per gram. You have
    36g of fat there - so that is 36*9 = 324 cals
    17.5 + 20 (carbs/protein) = 37.5 so that's 37.5*4 = 150 cals.

Hence the total is 474 cals using that split.

The question is - how are you coming up with 385? === Either that is off, or your macros are off.

As I explained above - I totaled (all my ingredients) everything under MFP (Scanned, Adding etc) and measuring how much each one weighs.

Then all I did was split that using a calculator.

The Macros (before the split) - 35 Carbs, 72 Fat & 40 Protein. This is what MFP was showing when I inputted all my ingredients. The Total [MFP] Calories showed - 952.

I then used a calculator to split them into two (as the meal was for 2) - [35/2 = 17.5 Carbs], [72/2 = 36 Fat] & [40/2 20 Protein]. I did the same with Calories - 952 /2 = 385, as it was a meal for two, THIS is where I got my 385

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    Desibouy wrote: »
    I did the same with Calories - 952 /2 = 385, as it was a meal for two, THIS is where I got my 385
    952 divided by 2 is 476.

You're a math hero
  • Desibouy
    Desibouy wrote: »
    I did the same with Calories - 952 /2 = 385, as it was a meal for two, THIS is where I got my 385
    952 divided by 2 is 476.

Ok found to be a problem with Excel, it was adding a percentage of the Macros to all my calculations. I've changed it and it's showing up correctly now with all my ingredients.

Sorry guys, my bad.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Excel 101:
    Check your data entry
    Check your formulas