Options
2»

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Tips on gaining weight for the hard gainer?

Junk it up. Lots of whole milk, ice cream, breads, cakes, meat, potatoes, dressings, butter, etc.

If you are really a hard gainer you don't have to watch your diet AT ALL.

You can eat anything and everything and you need to in order to gain weight.

Combine this with a basic full-body bodybuilding routine and you can succeed.

Here's a routine for gaining weight.
    Do it 3 days a week.
    If you are new to training, do only 1 set the first week, add a set each week thereafter until you get 3 sets.
    Add weight whenever you get all 3 sets with the higher reps.
    Don't quit, don't miss workouts, don't miss meals.
    Give it 6 months of hard training and BIG eating.

Warm up with a plank or two.
    Barbell squats 3 work sets of 8-12
    Standing calf raises 3 sets of 12-15
    Bench press 3 work sets of 8-12
    Barbell rows 3 work sets of 8-12
    Standing presses 3 work sets of 8-12
    Barbell curls 3 work sets of 8-12

Then go home and EAT!

EAT a lot even of days you don't train.

If I allow myself ad libitum access to ALL the foods, I can easily put away 4000-5000 calories/day. I don't care how much I lift, I'd be a fat toad within a month.

You can only gain so much muscle - the rest is going to be fat.

If the intended message is that you can eat whatever you want when bulking, I agree. If the message is that you can eat as much as you want of whatever you want when bulking, I disagree unless the goal includes a lot of fat gain, or unless one is using some pharmaceutical 'assistance'.

Mmmm... I'd love to eat 5k a day!!!

I still do it occasionally. Would love to do it more often, but I know what the result would be. Been down that road before, that's how I ended up on MFP in the first place. :)
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options

Junk it up. Lots of whole milk, ice cream, breads, cakes, meat, potatoes, dressings, butter, etc.

Do it 3 days a week.
    If you are new to training, do only 1 set the first week, add a set each week thereafter until you get 3 sets.

Then go home and EAT!

If I allow myself ad libitum access to ALL the foods, I can easily put away 4000-5000 calories/day. I don't care how much I lift, I'd be a fat toad within a month.

If the intended message is that you can eat whatever you want when bulking, I agree. If the message is that you can eat as much as you want of whatever you want when bulking, I disagree unless the goal includes a lot of fat gain, or unless one is using some pharmaceutical 'assistance'.

Mmmm... I'd love to eat 5k a day!!!

I still do it occasionally. Would love to do it more often, but I know what the result would be. Been down that road before, that's how I ended up on MFP in the first place. :)

Hehehe I'll hit that sometimes on the weekends. I'm trying to be good and stick to my sad little 2700.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I'm trying to gain a little.

As a caveat, one should also be sure to get in enough nutrient dense foods as well.

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Not trying but I'm doing it well.
  • jaden91
    jaden91 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    thanks for the feed back peoples very helpful :)
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    We're all different. I have to eat some junk just to get to 3000 and I feel bloated and may have mild indigestion.... 5000 would require continuous eating... I try to take 3 to 4 hours between meals, fwiw.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Do it 3 days a week.

Then go home and EAT!

"if you are really a HARDGAINER"

You don't sound like one so this is not for you.

You are a FATGAINER.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    The only thing that has helped me thus far are the ensure plus and boost plus shakes but i drink like 3 a day. I get the generic version at walmart dince its alot cheaper and tastes better imo.

That's a lot of meal supplement shakes; why not just eat food?

Not everyone can eat 3-4,000 calories of all food, some people like myself need liquid calories to make it easier to supplement the calories hence the word supplements.

I don't remember anyone saying she was eating 3K calories but I might have missed that part. You can still do it with out going to meal replacements with smoothies etc. I never found anything below 4K particularly challenging and 3K is pretty normal for me.

Frankly, of all the supplements gainers are probably the biggest rip off.

How are they a rip off? It's liquid calories. Yea okay for you it's not hard to eat calories and that's awesome, but for other people it can become challenging to consume and constantly eat so it's easier to chug a liquid which has 350-650 cal, in my opinon it's very helpful especially when bulking or trying to put on weight? Obviously the right diet and food should play into your daily diet, but a rip off? I wouldn't agree with that, but you're entitled to your own opinion. There are some that have too much sugar and other crap but there are others like the one I use which has low sugar, complex carbs, high protein, and a little bit of fat for more calories, sounds good to me!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    The only thing that has helped me thus far are the ensure plus and boost plus shakes but i drink like 3 a day. I get the generic version at walmart dince its alot cheaper and tastes better imo.

That's a lot of meal supplement shakes; why not just eat food?

Not everyone can eat 3-4,000 calories of all food, some people like myself need liquid calories to make it easier to supplement the calories hence the word supplements.

I don't remember anyone saying she was eating 3K calories but I might have missed that part. You can still do it with out going to meal replacements with smoothies etc. I never found anything below 4K particularly challenging and 3K is pretty normal for me.

Frankly, of all the supplements gainers are probably the biggest rip off.

How are they a rip off? It's liquid calories. Yea okay for you it's not hard to eat calories and that's awesome, but for other people it can become challenging to consume and constantly eat so it's easier to chug a liquid which has 350-650 cal, in my opinon it's very helpful especially when bulking or trying to put on weight? Obviously the right diet and food should play into your daily diet, but a rip off? I wouldn't agree with that, but you're entitled to your own opinion. There are some that have too much sugar and other crap but there are others like the one I use which has low sugar, complex carbs, high protein, and a little bit of fat for more calories, sounds good to me!

Because they are just cheap calories that are way over processed and priced for what you get. You can easily make a home made shake with a protein powder base that is cheaper and better for you. Too many people rely on these gainers that just don't need them. Ask the pro body builders and strength athletes who are often eating 8K+ calories per day if they use them and the answer is going to be no almost every time. However, and rather ironically, they are actually better if you want to use them as a weight loss shake because if you cut the scoops they are pretty much the same as a Slim Fast or similar weight loss shake.

If you just want more calories that don't fill you up try an ice cream float, lots of calories and a ton cheaper too. However, if you want to pay for the product because it claims it's made from sweet potatoes and oats I guess that's your choice, I just don't see any real reason for them.
  • Leijing
    Leijing Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have the problem of not having the capacity to consume a large quantity of food in one setting. I am more prone to snacking than I like to admit.

I've used Carnation Breakfast Essentials shakes before when I worked on a busy hospital unit; I didn't always have time to sit down and eat, but I could knock back a shake pretty quickly and have enough fuel to keep going until things settle down.