Newbie to strength training, please help!

Options
Hello! My name is Alicia and I just started using this app about 2 weeks ago and have already seen progress. I have about 140 pounds to lose and I want to keep it off. I hear a lot of stories about people just using cardio workouts and they end up gaining back the weight. I want to start strength training but I’m not quite sure where to start. I want to start with just bodyweight exercises at home before I go to a gym (I don’t feel comfortable doing this yet). For anyone who does strength training, what should I start with?

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Body by You helps you build up progressively. Personally, I have found it a bit aggressive, but I have skeletomuscular issues that make such things difficult.
  • August2444
    August2444 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge HASfit fan. They have beginner weight training videos. Check them out on YouTube, the app, or online.
  • kiwiroz
    kiwiroz Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have been using fitness blender videos on YouTube or through their website. You can select bodyweight only exercises. Also a range of stretching and low impact
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I do my strength workouts at home. I have several sets of dumbells, medium weight to heavier and use youtube workouts - fitness blender/ Jessica Smith / Hasfit.
  • scooter825
    scooter825 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You are going to do great. When starting with weight training, think simple. A throwback to gym class approach is good, think pushups, body weight squats, sit ups. And don't be afraid to ask questions in the gym when it comes to actually picking up the iron and starting that stuff, most people are glad to help.
  • mrsloganlife
    mrsloganlife Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I found on Muscle and Fitness or somewhere else a beginner strength training program. It lasted 4 weeks and was for 3 days a week. It was a total body workout for those 3 days, which was awesome. I go to a gym though, so it was beneficial for me because I was learning what machines to use and also how to properly use it and perform the exercises (ie proper deadlift form).
  • katnadreau
    katnadreau Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm really loving Body By You, simple to understand, progressive, and no extra equipment needed...though I will be investing in a pull up bar eventually, my doors couldn't handle me doing pull ups on them haha