ICK: protein bar fail

Options
Saaski
Saaski Posts: 105 Member
I usually buy the pure protein brand whenever I make it over to costo. This time I noticed that Kirkland also had a bar brand. Compared ingrediants and found them pretty promising (cashews, I love cashews). BIG mistake. Gluey, chalky awful mess. Couldn't even finish the one I started eating. Now I'm stuck with a bunch if bars I can't use.

Have you guys ever had a try-a-new-food fail?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    Can you not take them back?
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    yeah, and its always protein bars/cookies/snacks .. but every thing can be recovered ..... try the following -

(1) Microwave one for a short time until it goes soft and gooey - some turn in to cakes.
    (2) put in a processor, roughly chop and use as sprinkles on greek yogurt
    (3) do the above but throw in your icecream machine with your custard and make a nut protein icecream
    (4) blend with hot milk and see if it makes a drink ... like when you make a marsbar drink
    (5) keep in your bag as an emergency snack .... this is ideal if you hate them, as if you are like me if there is food in your bag you WILL eat it even if you dont need to .... have something you dont like and it really does become an emergency snack
    (6) Bake with it, blitz and add to crumble mixes or cheese cake bases
  • Saaski
    Options
    Can you not take them back?

I live far enough away that it isn't worth making the trip just for a small item return :/
  • Saaski
    Options
    h1udd wrote: »
    yeah, and its always protein bars/cookies/snacks .. but every thing can be recovered ..... try the following -

(1) Microwave one for a short time until it goes soft and gooey - some turn in to cakes.
    (2) put in a processor, roughly chop and use as sprinkles on greek yogurt
    (3) do the above but throw in your icecream machine with your custard and make a nut protein icecream
    (4) blend with hot milk and see if it makes a drink ... like when you make a marsbar drink
    (5) keep in your bag as an emergency snack .... this is ideal if you hate them, as if you are like me if there is food in your bag you WILL eat it even if you dont need to .... have something you dont like and it really does become an emergency snack
    (6) Bake with it, blitz and add to crumble mixes or cheese cake bases

I actually tried the microwave thing! Didn't work very well, haha. The taste is pretty bad, on top of the texture. I don't know if there's any salvaging them, but I'll try some of your other ideas.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Saaski wrote: »
    I usually buy the pure protein brand whenever I make it over to costo. This time I noticed that Kirkland also had a bar brand. Compared ingrediants and found them pretty promising (cashews, I love cashews). BIG mistake. Gluey, chalky awful mess. Couldn't even finish the one I started eating. Now I'm stuck with a bunch if bars I can't use.

Yeah, I'm sitting here with a box of Pure Protein and a box of Kirkland -- and the Kirkland will stay right where it is. I'd heard a lot of people say they're good, but the flavor and that Tootsie roll consistency are big put-offs for me.

@h1udd : (4) blend with hot milk and see if it makes a drink ... like when you make a marsbar drink

What is this dark magic you speak of? Clearly I've led a sheltered life. Please tell me more!
  • h1udd
    Options
    @ZoneFive .... eh ? .... I thought everyone does this ... find something that melts ... ie a marsbar, snickers ... put in a pan / microwave bowl .. add milk and heat .... the marsbar melts and makes a chocolate malt marsbar drink ... snickers makes a snickers drink .. with bits of nuts in, so it worth taking an immersion/stick blender to that one to better incorporate the nuts.

Or my favorite, is to make the drink ... put it in the fridge and use the flavoured milk in either Protein Fluff / Icecream / custard ... basically anything that requires milk

oh if you want a thicker drink .. DONT use less milk .... use MORE marsbars ;)
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Vegetables. Total food fail.
  • Saaski
    Options
    @h1udd I have never heard of this. Never thought about melting a candy bar with milk, nevermind trying it with a protein bar. I might give that a go...
  • h1udd
    Options
    do you have a blender ..... if it doesnt melt properly you might need to encourage it with a spinning blade and incorperate it into the milk
  • Saaski
    Options
    I have a mini one. Sort of worried about the bar gumming it up though. These bars have the consistency of a Tootsie roll.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I took my Kirkland protein bars back. Blech! I also like the Pure protein brand as well as Think Thin.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,590 Member
    Options

Eat the cost (hah!) and give the rest of them to a homeless person.
  • Saaski
    Options
    @h1udd okay, I tried the milk thing. Not good. I think the flavor is just too off. Thanks for the suggestion though!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options

I remember I hated the Quest cashew flavor! Disgusting.

I would see what their return policy is as far as number of days & if it's a decent amount of time then return it the next shopping trip.