Intermittent Fasting - are there any side effects?

Hey guys ,
I've been reading a lot about intermittent fasting and it seems to have sooo many benefits.
Has anyone tried it? Are there any cons? Especially for women.
Would appreciate any advice!
Thanks!

Replies

• Richbelle1
    Richbelle1 Posts: 44 Member
    Hey @jjpptt2 !
    Thanks for the advice. So I feel it's easier for me to have a fixed time in which I eat and so I hope IF works. Otherwise I'm just eating throughout the day. And that makes it difficult to count calories for every small thing I've eaten.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Hey @jjpptt2 !
    Thanks for the advice. So I feel it's easier for me to have a fixed time in which I eat and so I hope IF works. Otherwise I'm just eating throughout the day. And that makes it difficult to count calories for every small thing I've eaten.

Sounds like it's worth trying then. You'll probably still want to log/count cals if your intake isn't where it should be, but IF can be a nice tool to help manage cals.
  • Richbelle1
    @Nama_Slay would I need to take BCAAs if I'm only interested in weight loss and work out like thrice a week?
    All the info I've found on IF is that it's magical. So I just wanted to know the flipside from people who've tried it
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    There are lots of different ways to do an eating schedule, many of which are not IF. I grew up eating 3 meals a day, and that's what I prefer now, no snacks. Some like 4 meals a day or 2 or 2 meals and 3 planned snacks or whatever.

I think IF works for some people for similar reasons to why a schedule works, and that's basically what it is, just one that limits the eating window. You can eat throughout the window or have planned eating times within it.

There's a different form of IF that involves having 2 low cal days and 5 at maintenance. Others too.

IF itself doesn't work or not, it's a tool that may or may not work for you. The only negatives would be if you don't feel good doing it or enjoy it, or if you find it tends to make you want to eat more, not less. The 5-2 method could be bad for those with restricting and binging issues, maybe.
  • lemurcat12
    Um, if you are being told it's magical, the sources you are using aren't trustworthy.

I find it kind of odd that people will claim that if you consume, say, 1800 calories over 3 meals, at 7, 12, and 8, that's somehow not great, but if you consume the same exact meals in a 8 hour window! (so say at 12, 4, and 8), the effects are going to be different and you will do better. I think that's obvious bunkum. But you may well find it easier, FOR YOU, to stick to those 1800 cals (or whatever you goal is) not eating in the morning. That's been true since before IF was a thing, of course.
  • Richbelle1
    @lemurcat12 I'm looking at a calorie intake of 1200. So that's why I'm inclined to IF. Since I have a small window for a small amount of calories.
    Also the benefits with regard to higher levels of growth hormones and lower levels of insulin didn't seem to be 'bunkum' to me. Hence the question.
  • missevil
    missevil Posts: 113 Member
    I did it now for about 2 months and don't see any effects at all. Neither negative nor positive. For me, it's just another tool to keep me from eating all the time. My calorie allowance is so low that skipping one meal doesn't help me at all to eat less. I still have to count and plan, but it's a second "barrier". I might be tempted in the evening to say "ok, I eat one more little <whatever>, the calories aren't THAT bad", which is usually a bad idea ;) Having my IF window closed makes me not eat the little <whatever> on most of the days, which is a good thing.
    I had high hopes after reading of all the benefits, but there was absolutely NO change/effect, which is actually pretty sad. ;)
  • lemurcat12
    edited March 2018
    General rule of thumb, if some way of eating is promoted as "magical" (in that you can keep eating without lowering calories or even eat more and still lose or you will somehow never want to overeat again), then it's probably not credible, and may well be coming from a scammy kind of source.

However, that doesn't mean that a change might not be "magical" for you -- changing macros or eating schedule can make it easier to adhere to calories, and even go from hard to easy. But what the changes are vary by person. Again, anyone who pushes something as "will work for all" is not to be trusted, period.

That eating windows of 8 hours (or sometimes even 12) are sold as some HUGE NEW THING that means you lose when you otherwise would gain is just odd. If it works (and it very well can) it's because you find it easier to eat less.

The converse of this is that somehow it's a BIG DEAL to have an eating window that basically means skipping breakfast. People have skipped breakfast forever, it's not a big deal. I for years ate only at lunch and dinner and maybe a snack in-between, because that's when I wanted to eat. No negative effects (because it's not a big deal, humans are not so fragile that we have to eat every few hours), and also I managed to gain weight doing it (I also managed to maintain and lose doing it -- the difference was the calories).
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    @lemurcat12 I'm looking at a calorie intake of 1200. So that's why I'm inclined to IF. Since I have a small window for a small amount of calories.
    Also the benefits with regard to higher levels of growth hormones and lower levels of insulin didn't seem to be 'bunkum' to me. Hence the question.

In the short term, higher levels of growth hormones has only some support in men, much less support in women. If anything, some women have increased cortisol, which isn't something you want to happen chronically. If you want higher HGH levels long term, weight loss does it. Insulin sensitivity is also a function of weight loss mostly, so it's hard to isolate as specific to IF.
  • Richbelle1
    So @amusedmonkey assuming I stick to my 1200 calorie plan and workout, will IF facilitate the weight-loss ? That's essentially what I wanted to know.
    If I can use it to stick to my calorie goal, focus in my macros AND benefit from the hormone manipulation, then isn't it a win-win ?
  • Richbelle1
    @jjpptt2 @amusedmonkey @lemurcat12 I've been following this YouTube page by Thomas Delauer. He uses extensive scientific studies to prove the benefits of IF. Which is what I'm basing my knowledge on. Now I'm inclined to think he's a quack.