Adjusting calories??

Options
So I am new to this app and I saw some posts about people having to manually adjust their calories each week. Where do I go in the app to change this? Any help is appreciated. I have lost 10 pounds so I assumed I might go down in calories but it didn’t automatically do it

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    ngoziish1 wrote: »
    @ Malibu927, Her active level must equal her caloric intake to maintain energy level. If she's eating less and still maintain her same level of activity, she will find herself starving all the time and energy level low. What you are suggesting will definitely help to lose weight fast, but it isn't sustainable and realistic if she doesn't have the self control. It is realistic to lose a pound a week in a gradual process so she can cultivate a life long healthy lifestyle habits that's sustainable for a life time.

I am not saying I disagree with you completely, but it's all in the context of how she wants to lose the weight. Lose it fast and gain it back or lose it gradually and maintain that loss forever.

I think you're misinterpreting my explanation.

My BMR right now is close to 1900 calories. My TDEE is about 2600 calories. If I lose 50 pounds, that drops my BMR to about 1650 calories and my TDEE to about 2270. If I eat the same amount of calories as I am now, I'd be losing about 2/3 of a pound less per week than now. That is why is asking about dropping her calorie goal...to keep her deficit and loss per week the same.
  • alicia163425
    alicia163425 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Malibu927 yes that is what I am referring to. I’m not trying to cut more calories just to lose weight faster. Just want my caloric need to match up as I lose weight
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    @Malibu like I said in my second reply to you. I mentioned it’s a fast way to lose weight, but it isn’t sustainable long term. It’s only sustainable short term if you are looking for a quick fix. I am not a big fan of the method, but I guess we can agree to disagree.

On a different note, I find it very funny that my comments are getting wooed LMAO instead of trying to have an intellectual conversation.

I'm confused as to why you edited your comment. I said nothing about losing quickly (which I agree is not good for most people). You update the calories so you can still lose at that amount. And I did not woo your comments because there was nothing woo-worthy in them.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Every 8 weeks, I take a 2-week maintenance break and adjust my calories to maintain. When I go back to reset my calories to lose, I find that I'm a few calories lower than I was pre-break. Which makes sense; during the eight weeks of eating at a deficit, I got a little smaller, so my intake goes down.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    @Malibu like I said in my second reply to you. I mentioned it’s a fast way to lose weight, but it isn’t sustainable long term. It’s only sustainable short term if you are looking for a quick fix. I am not a big fan of the method, but I guess we can agree to disagree.

On a different note, I find it very funny that my comments are getting wooed LMAO instead of trying to have an intellectual conversation.

As you lose weight, if your activity level stays the same, your TDEE goes down. So to maintain the same rate of weight loss, you need to eat slightly less calories. It has nothing to do with losing fast, it's about losing consistently.

Once you get close to a healthy weight, you will not be able to sustain that rate of loss and should allow your weight loss to gradually slow down. But for those who have a lot of weight to lose, they will have plenty of time where it's perfectly fine to maintain a consistent rate of loss for months, and in order to do that they will need to reduce their calories slightly on occasion.
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I think whole point of confusion is that OP said that some people adjust their goal each week. That is really not nessesary. I think MFP prompts to adjust calories after every 5kg lost? That takes usually at least a month, and for some people 6 months. Providing that weight has been logged of course.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Glad the confusion got cleared up.

@alicia163425 it does not need to be done every week by any means. Every 10 pounds or so is what it says. Sometimes it does it automatically, sometimes not. For me anyway. Mostly not lately. In any case, my suggestion would be to do it when your weight loss slows down beyond what you've picked as a weekly loss and what you've been losing on average per week. He/she who eats the most and still loses wins. I would go by your losses and not just by the number. Just my opinion.