Question regarding calorie intake!

Options
Ashjvb
Ashjvb Posts: 14 Member
Hii. So i started my weightloss journey mid july 2017 and to date iv lost 54 lbs.
For this month im focused on cutting UNHEALTHY carbs where i can. This past week i have eaten alot of food. But my calorie intake has been under 1000. I am trying to follow the 80/20 rule for flexible dieting and allowing myself one sweet treat a day .
So my day would look like this :
Breakfast - 2 eggs scrambled with shredded carrots and zuchinni ( 287 calories )
Lunch - raw veggies and dip ( 150 calories )
Dinner - beef spaghetti sauce over cauliflower rice (273 calories )
Treat - dairyland chocolate ( 280 calories )
Bringing me to a total of 950 calories.
And im not feeling hungry, my body seems satisfied with the foods im eating.
Also im drinking 100 oz of water a day.

Now my question is.. is this unhealthy? Should i be trying to eat more?

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising at all?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    It’s not healthy to under eat.
  • cfredz
    cfredz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    pls eat more... why are you eating so little??
  • Ashjvb
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. So in my case it would actually be more beneficial to eat my dinner with pasta to add in some calories?
  • Ashjvb
    Options
    Also i am planning on doing some home workouts. Strength training with body weight. But have not started yet.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Ashjvb wrote: »
    Thank you all for your responses. So in my case it would actually be more beneficial to eat my dinner with pasta to add in some calories?

Yeah...proper nutrition includes getting in appropriate calories. A calorie is a unit of energy...your body needs energy as much as it needs nutrients to survive and function properly. Inadequate energy results in the body shutting down "non-essential" functions to conserve energy...so down the road, things like hair falling out and loss of menstrual cycle, etc start happening.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Also, what’s your definition of Unhealthy Carbohydrates?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Just add some oils to your cooking, or nuts. It won't take much to make up the difference. Or add protein to your lunch.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    How much weight are you trying to lose in total?
    What is your height and current weight?
    What rate of loss have you selected?
    What is your current NET calorie goal? Meaning that when you do exercise, you should be eating more than what MFP initially recommends.

• Ashjvb
    edited March 2018
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    What is your current NET calorie goal? Meaning that when you do exercise, you should be eating more than what MFP initially recommends.

Im trying to lose 80-90 lbs.
    I started at 234 after my son was born.
    Im 5'6 and currently weigh 179.9
    Id like to get down to 150 so that my bmi is in a normal range.
    Iv selected 2 lbs loss per week with a lightly active lifestyle.
    My fitnesspal says my current goal is 1340 calories
    And i usually have about 600 excercise calories that my fitbit logs just from my basic activity, house cleaning, walking. No workouts yet.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Iv only done this for the past 5 days

Pop, junk food, bread, pasta, rice

So this week iv chosen
    lettuce wraps over burger bun
    Cauliflower rice over normal rice
    Cauliflower rice over pasta
    Baked potato for lunch as opposed to a sandwich
    For example

Nothing is inherently unhealthy about the foods you're avoiding unless medically you need to avoid them.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options

And i usually have about 600 excercise calories that my fitbit logs just from my basic activity, house cleaning, walking. No workouts yet.

Eat the 1340 plus half of those fitbit calories.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Iv only done this for the past 5 days

Pop, junk food, bread, pasta, rice

So this week iv chosen
    lettuce wraps over burger bun
    Cauliflower rice over normal rice
    Cauliflower rice over pasta
    Baked potato for lunch as opposed to a sandwich
    For example

No food is "healthy" or "unhealthy". It's your overall diet that is.

If you want any of those items? Work them into your calorie and nutrient goals. I had rice for dinner last night and a hamburger with bun the night before.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

So if you have about 30 lbs left to lose, 1 pound per week is a more appropriate goal, which means you are even more significantly under eating.

How quickly are you losing? How accurate is your logging?

Why the change in approach, what were you doing to lose the 50 lbs so far and why are you changing?
  • Ashjvb
    Options

So if you have about 30 lbs left to lose, 1 pound per week is a more appropriate goal, which means you are even more significantly under eating.

Why the change in approach, what were you doing to lose the 50 lbs so far and why are you changing?

Why would 1 lb a week would be more appropriate because i have less to lose now?

Iv lost the 50 lbs since july 2017. Iv had a few bumps in the road. And have gone up a bit here and there but get back on track pretty quickly.

Each month i try to set different goals and i try to use different approaches to switch it up and to help myself see what works best for me.
    This month my goal was to go low carb and to try to eat more veggies daily.

I started and im enjoying it but i have not been hitting my calorie goals. But thanks to everyone on here im going to make sure to incorporate more calories daily.

** Thank you all so much for the information
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    If you chose "lightly active" those fitbit calories are already included in the calculation. If you chose "no activity" then you can count the fitbit calories.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

Why would 1 lb a week would be more appropriate because i have less to lose now?

Iv lost the 50 lbs since july 2017. Iv had a few bumps in the road. And have gone up a bit here and there but get back on track pretty quickly.

Each month i try to set different goals and i try to use different approaches to switch it up and to help myself see what works best for me.
    This month my goal was to go low carb and to try to eat more veggies daily.

I started and im enjoying it but i have not been hitting my calorie goals. But thanks to everyone on here im going to make sure to incorporate more calories daily.

** Thank you all so much for the information

For the bolded area, yes. If you lost 2 lbs a week consistently without ever stopping or the body trying to slow you down, you would die. The closer you are to goal, the longer it will take, and no amount of calorie slamming is going to be healthy.

I don't have an opinion on eliminating carbs or variations of them from your diet, but I do have a bit of an issue with severely restrictive diets not focusing on protein. Firstly, extreme caloric restrictions are not sustainable long term, and the more of a deficit you have, the more your protein needs increase. Without enough protein, any scale weight lost (which shouldn't be confused with fat loss) has a greater chance of it coming from muscle and not fat.

As an extreme real world example, you know those infomercials of emaciated people in third world countries? That's basically the ultimate end result of muscle loss. Please use this article as reference: https://examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-do-i-need/