Lost 10lbs in 3 weeks is that safe?

Options
jefamer2017
jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
edited March 2018 in Getting Started
I didn't mean to but I have been losing weight fairly rapidly. I am 35, female started my healthy eating habits and exercise on February 13th. I was 204.4. Today I weigh 193.8. I don't know if I am losing weight too quickly. I'm not losing this much on purpose I'm happy about it but is it safe? I am considered obese so Idk if it's normal or if I should try to slow down a bit.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's not unusual to lose a lot early on, particularly if you cut back on carbs. You lose a lot of water weight early, and also less waste in your system.

It should slow to a more reasonable rate...if it doesn't, you need to up your calories because that would be too fast.
  • zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I can't comment on safe (probably should talk to a dr about that); but I have done 10 - 12 lbs/month for the last 4 months or so (down 48 lbs since Halloween)
    and for me it is just watching what i eat and stopping even though i don't want to when my body says "stop"
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    It's not unusual to drop pretty drastic amounts of weight the first week or so, especially if you are restricting carbs. It's mostly water weight unless you are being really aggressive with your caloric deficit and then you'll really feel that deficit so there will be no question. As stated above, you'll start losing a lot more slowly this month since you won't have extra water weight to drop anymore.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    That really depends on your calorie intake. How much are you eating, and what is your targeted rate of loss?

If you're eating a calorie intake that should be producing a slower rate of loss, you're losing some additional water weight. That should slow or stop in the next week or so.

If you're under-eating, stop that. Purposefully going for a too-quick rate of loss is a bad idea.

However, if you're eating at a calorie goal that should be producing a safe rate of loss AND you continue to lose that quickly, you're one of the lucky people who can eat more than MFP predicts. In that case, adjust your calories upward until you hit your desired, safe average rate of loss.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    That really depends on your calorie intake. How much are you eating, and what is your targeted rate of loss?

If you're eating a calorie intake that should be producing a slower rate of loss, you're losing some additional water weight. That should slow or stop in the next week or so.

If you're under-eating, stop that. Purposefully going for a too-quick rate of loss is a bad idea.

However, if you're eating at a calorie goal that should be producing a safe rate of loss AND you continue to lose that quickly, you're one of the lucky people who can eat more than MFP predicts. In that case, adjust your calories upward until you hit your desired, safe average rate of loss.
    I'm eating what MFP, and other calorie counters are telling me to eat. 2lbs a week at my weight, height, age, and sex all say about 1500 calories. Some days I eat more because my job is extremely physical up to 1800 calories. I am not hungry I eat healthy whole foods mostly. I even have a sweet snack here and there. It's probably just water weight.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »

I'm eating what MFP, and other calorie counters are telling me to eat. 2lbs a week at my weight, height, age, and sex all say about 1500 calories. Some days I eat more because my job is extremely physical up to 1800 calories. I am not hungry I eat healthy whole foods mostly. I even have a sweet snack here and there. It's probably just water weight.

Okay, good! Just wanted to check :smile:

If it hasn't slowed in the next week or two, you seriously hit the jackpot and you get to up your calories until you start averaging two pounds per week. That's a good thing, because you're eventually going to have to lower your calories as you lose weight, so enjoy it while you can!
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    At 193.8, 2lbs is too large a deficit (it's more than 1% of your body weight). I would suggest a 1.5 or 1.0 lb deficit. If you just started then a lot of water weight can be expected to be lost in the first few weeks.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    When you have a lot to lose then its ok to lose quickly in the beginning as a lot of it will be water weight. You will find that will slow off soon.