Hunger/fullness feelings messed up

Hi everyone! I've lost weight before, so I know I can do it again, but I'd forgotten this trick that my body does when I'm on a regular calorie deficit... I become unable to tell whether I'm full or hungry because they feel the same - eg half an hour after a massive meal I'll feel the same as as if it's 11:30am and I haven't had breakfast.

Generally I just ignore this and eat whatever I was planning to eat anyway (so I don't let it make me overeat), but has anyone else experienced this? Any explanations?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I have the same experience. When I eat like a normal person, regularly, three meals per day, the difference between hungry and full, is small. I can stave off "hunger" for as long as I have to, but when I've started to eat, I just want to continue. The sensations I get, are basically just digestion and appetite - the physical sensation of food moving through the system, and the psychological aspect - the anticipation, and sensation of the sight, smell and taste of food. I have to (try to) ignore this quite backward feedback, and stick to my planned meals. My weight and energy levels tell me I'm fine.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,383 Member
    I think a lot of people have weird hunger cues.

My hunger switch doesn't usually turn off until an hour after I've finished my meal - which is why calorie counting is so important - I can just keep going and going until that switch turns off.

Having a plan to stick to certainly helps.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,241 Member
    Hi everyone! I've lost weight before, so I know I can do it again, but I'd forgotten this trick that my body does when I'm on a regular calorie deficit... I become unable to tell whether I'm full or hungry because they feel the same - eg half an hour after a massive meal I'll feel the same as as if it's 11:30am and I haven't had breakfast.

Generally I just ignore this and eat whatever I was planning to eat anyway (so I don't let it make me overeat), but has anyone else experienced this? Any explanations?

Do you refer to a feeling in your stomach or a psychological feeling?
    If you're talking about a physical sensation I have this when my gastritis has flared up - same gnawing "hunger" type feeling both when my stomach is empty or after I've eaten. If this sounds like it might check with your GP.
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    I get this and it started when I began intermittent fasting. I used to not have such issues with knowing hunger/fullness but when I started waiting until 4 pm to eat daily, everything got out of sync. When I started breaking fasts earlier/trying to eat breakfast/eat any earlier, my calories became much higher and while it wasn't the gnawing stomach growling hunger, I felt like I needed to eat. If you get a gnawing feeling after, it could be an ulcer. if it's anything else like a mind hunger which can feel very strong, you may have a similar issue to me. I always try to push eating back now until at least noon as I feel fuller than eating smaller meals spread throughout the day.
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    This happened to me when I first started. About an hour after I'd eat breakfast or lunch, I'd hear my stomach growling, but I would feel full. I eat light for breakfast and moderate for lunch and save most of my calories for dinner. Only after I had dinner did I not feel this way. This hungry/full sensation went away after about 2 weeks.
  • batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    edited March 2018
    Eat more protein. Try a protein shake in the morning too. If I don't get enough protein, I am constantly hungry.

If that doesn't work, then it's just bad habits that "should" go away if you eat properly long enough.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    edited March 2018
    funny there is a massive difference between feeling nourished and feeling "full" - nourished is such a better place to be in this process.