Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Keto Diet?

kag_8
kag_8 Posts: 1 Member
What do you guys think about doing the Keto diet? I want to shed weight as fast as possible and everything I look up shows the keto diet! Any thoughts?

Replies

• johnm1991
    johnm1991 Posts: 372 Member
    My friend's son did it and lost 80lbs in 4 months. It's very hard. Especially, if you keep falling off...it'll take a little longer but i managed to loose 22 lbs in a couple months. Then i fell off.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Not for me. I wouldn't be able to adhere to it since I love carbs too much, I lift so my workouts would suffer (not great for muscle retention) plus I find fats not filling at all. But YMMV.

What are your stats? Why as fast as possible? Fast isn't always best or sustainable (and usually comes right back on and then some).
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Keto only helps you lose if you are reducing calories. It helps some people reduce calories because the high fat keeps them feeling full.

The only reason it keeps coming up is because it is the current fad. It is not necessary to be that restrictive.

To give you an idea, I am currently not consuming grains, starchy vegetables or fruit and I am still above the oft quoted 50g of carbs for keto most days. I would have to be even more restricted to reach keto goals, but I am seeing the medical results I want so there is no reason to restrict further.
  • SangSoon1012
    SangSoon1012 Posts: 2 Member
    I did a Keto diet for 2 months. It worked well and I lost almost 20 lbs. I should say that I have learned from Keto, and how incredibly fragile it is, and that's brought me to where I am today. I now eat what would appear to be a Keto leaning diet (carb conscience). I avoid any clearly recognizable carbs/sugars with the exception of fruits and veggies. My carbs on average are below 100 grams a day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    kag_8 wrote: »
    What do you guys think about doing the Keto diet? I want to shed weight as fast as possible and everything I look up shows the keto diet! Any thoughts?

You don't lose any faster than someone else not doing keto with the same calorie deficit. Keto is a highly restrictive diet...basically all but eliminating carbohydrates (to include plenty of nutritionally awesome sources of carbohydrates).

Initial weight loss can be a little faster because without the carbohydrates you're dumping glycogen and water faster...not fat...water. After that, the rate of loss is the same as someone with the same calorie restriction.

I would personally find it very unenjoyable...I can't imagine eating that much fat and things like legumes, lentils, and root vegetables are staples in my diet and some of my favorite foods.
  • katrn05
    katrn05 Posts: 20 Member
    Keto only helps you lose if you are reducing calories. It helps some people reduce calories because the high fat keeps them feeling full.

The only reason it keeps coming up is because it is the current fad. It is not necessary to be that restrictive.

To give you an idea, I am currently not consuming grains, starchy vegetables or fruit and I am still above the oft quoted 50g of carbs for keto most days. I would have to be even more restricted to reach keto goals, but I am seeing the medical results I want so there is no reason to restrict further.

This is such misinformation that I laughed when I read this. Google Common Sense Keto. It's run by a nutritionist who specializes in Keto. I have been following his Keto recommendations for the past month. I eat 2500 calories per day, 235 grams of fat, 60 grams of protein and 20 total carbs because NET carbs is nonsense. I have lost 10 lbs and have not lost any hair (like people who restrict their calories do). This guy has done numerous studies and coaches numerous people who have lost weight, cut back or discontinue their insulin and blood pressure medication because they did not need it anymore. You absolutely do not need to eat a ton of protein and you absolutely do not need to restrict calories. People have been doing CICO forever and look at how fat we are now. Restricting calories has done nothing more than damage our metabolism and made our hair fall out. So your reply proves to me that you know nothing about keto. It works!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited March 2018
    katrn05 wrote: »

This is such misinformation that I laughed when I read this. Google Common Sense Keto. It's run by a nutritionist who specializes in Keto. I have been following his Keto recommendations for the past month. I eat 2500 calories per day, 235 grams of fat, 60 grams of protein and 20 total carbs because NET carbs is nonsense. I have lost 10 lbs and have not lost any hair (like people who restrict their calories do). This guy has done numerous studies and coaches numerous people who have lost weight, cut back or discontinue their insulin and blood pressure medication because they did not need it anymore. You absolutely do not need to eat a ton of protein and you absolutely do not need to restrict calories. People have been doing CICO forever and look at how fat we are now. Restricting calories has done nothing more than damage our metabolism and made our hair fall out. So your reply proves to me that you know nothing about keto. It works!

And here we go with the keto "magic"...

If you're losing weight, you're in a calorie deficit...that's how all diets work. You do not defy the laws of thermodynamics.

I cut weight on about 2500 calories too...

The only people losing hair are those than are on unnecessarily VLCDs...
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    The Kato Diet.

ofeipsgtwj1r.png