Psyllium husk?

Options
Has anyone tried Psyllium husk?

I have a really hard impossible time on the weekends. Literally on Saturday I sat and ate a whole large pizza hut pizza for one meal... by myself. So I was thinking about just taking Psyllium husk on the weekends to help curve that crazy bored appetite a little. So I'm wondering if you've tried it and if so, do you think that it might help me on weekends?

Replies

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Isn't that for fiber?
  • PinkCuddleMonster
    PinkCuddleMonster Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Isn't that for fiber?

If you eat the right kind than it expands in your stomach and makes you feel full. That's just what the internet told me.
  • PinkCuddleMonster
    PinkCuddleMonster Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If you are eating out of boredom, fiber won't help. You need to address the boredom.

how? I live in the middle of no where and it's too cold to go outside.
  • Nursie863
    Nursie863 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    That's Metamucil. It won't hurt you to take it once a day, normally it's for people with constipation, however I don't think it will help much to curb appetite. Maybe try eating more complex carbs and insoluble fiber in your day to day foods?
  • pamfin
    pamfin Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If you are eating out of boredom, fiber won't help. You need to address the boredom.

how? I live in the middle of no where and it's too cold to go outside.

Read a book
    Learn a new language
    Do an exercise video
    Call people on the phone
    Invite friends over to play board games
    Take up knitting or needlepoint
    The possibilities are endless

You beat me to it! Sounds like the perfect reason to take up knitting or crochet - it's also relaxing and you can't snack while doing it or your yarn gets sticky. :)
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried Psyllium husk?

I have a really hard impossible time on the weekends. Literally on Saturday I sat and ate a whole large pizza hut pizza for one meal... by myself. So I was thinking about just taking Psyllium husk on the weekends to help curve that crazy bored appetite a little. So I'm wondering if you've tried it and if so, do you think that it might help me on weekends?

I take it as a fibre supplement 3x per day every day. Helps my IBS. No effect whatsoever on appetite.
  • berky06
    berky06 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I take it. It does not curb appetite. I use actual
    Psyllium Husk from the Natural Food store. It's sort of a powder, but bigger chunks.
    I put 2 1/2 T in a glass of water, mix and chug it down. You may need to add more water, it gets a little thick. It isn't very pleasant taste wise.
    It's a bit yucky. The next day you will have a (how do I put it?) substantial bowel movement.
    I don't use it everyday, but I have in the past. It helps get things moving if you need it.

• RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    If you take it with a lot of water it might make you feel full for a little while. It's a natural (plant based) soluble fiber so it won't hurt you in small amounts and it aids in elimination. I sometimes add it to my morning smoothie for the extra fiber benefits but it doesn't do that much to curb appetite anymore than a regular smoothie does (which is not at all for me - I'm hungry 5 minutes later). Mixed in the smoothie it really has no taste.

Anyone with access to the internet, which OP obviously does, can stay very active while inside during the winter. It's called YouTube! Loads of exercise videos to follow. I know people who do them on their phones, so you don't really even need a computer or tablet.

To add to the "ways to combat boredom on the weekend list":

Put on some music and dance
    Get out a sketchpad and draw
    Write a poem
    Write a letter to your grandma ;)
    Make a bucket list
    Plan a vacation
    Clean out a drawer or closet
    Put outfits together for the work week
    Do food prep for the week
    Bake something and give it to a neighbor
    Do something crafty like beading
  • rockymir
    rockymir Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Isn't that for fiber?

If you eat the right kind than it expands in your stomach and makes you feel full. That's just what the internet told me.

I use it for IBS, mix some into my shakes. No it does not expand, it just makes some sort of gel when mixed with water but remains the same volume.
    You might look at shirataki noodles, they are very low calorie but then it depends on what topping you use on them.
  • NoxeemaJackson
    NoxeemaJackson Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Adding some psyllium husk is probably fine.
    But you might find it doesn't curb your appetite as you hope.
    If mindless snacking is your trouble, you could try air popped popcorn - lots for a little calories. There are tons of "recipes" online to spice it up, too.

You could also, again if mindless eating is your problem, switch to tea or, I like, prepackaged teriyaki seaweed pieces - it's calories, but not alot.

So, yeah, it depends on WHY you're eating what you're eating. If it's the munchies while you watch tv, I have found hot tea and/or popcorn to be my best bet.

Good luck!