Scared of the Weight Room

Options
2»

Replies

• mamashakesit
    mamashakesit Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I took a class for women at my local rec center. The instructor knew weights, but had zero idea how to teach a class, and I learned next to nothing from her. HOWEVER, it was worth my $40 to get comfortable walking into the weight room. I was lucky (?) to be unemployed at the time, so I went during the slowest times and often had the weight room to myself. The first couple weeks, I would walk out when someone else walked in, so I definitely understand the intimidation factor.

Then one night, there was a couple of studs in there, and I realized I'd better just suck it up, because I like lifting. Take your iPod, immerse yourself in your own workout, and after a few times of going and getting comfortable, it will be like no one else is in the room.

I find that the only time guys really stare is when I use the free weights. It still makes me somewhat self conscience, but I've started to tell myself that they stare because I'm so badass lol! Furthermore, the other women stare when I use free weights, too. I realized that those same women do not use the free weights...likely because they don't want to be stared at by the men.
  • robyyyyyyyifomp
    robyyyyyyyifomp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be too scared of anyone in there. We all start off somewhere, and for most of us, its the same place you're at now.
    I remember little freshman year me trying to figure out how get my bench to 135, now I'm deadlifting 360 lbs at 155 bw.
    Plus, some of the scariest looking dudes in the gym are the sweetest, and that music in their Ear buds is probably maroon 5. No joke
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be too scared of anyone in there. We all start off somewhere, and for most of us, its the same place you're at now.
    I remember little freshman year me trying to figure out how get my bench to 135, now I'm deadlifting 360 lbs at 155 bw.
    Plus, some of the scariest looking dudes in the gym are the sweetest, and that music in their Ear buds is probably maroon 5. No joke

It's true. Meanwhile I'm listening to Unearth and Parkway Drive.