Time to QUIT SMOKING, any tips?

Options
124»

Replies

• RAEQ127
    RAEQ127 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bless your heart, I was in the same boat. I quit smoking only once before for about 2 weeks until my Dad died, then obviously I was smoking again like before. But what helped me to quit for the long haul was surrounding myself with non smokers. When I moved in with my husband I was the only smoker. Slowly it lost it's appeal. But I would try e cigarettes for a while. I know it in't the same but if you can get use to those at least then you're only dealing with the nicotine rather than carcinogens. It sounds hokie, but if it were me and I just couldn't quit I'd try hypnosis. =) It's worth a shot, hell!
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    PLEASE go buy the book Easyway to Stop Smoking by Allan Carr. I smoked 20 plus a day since my early teens and quit with just the book 16 months ago. It wasn't in any way hard and I actually enjoyed quitting, read it and literally couldn't wait to stop.

P.s. I don't sell the books! I just tell anyone who'll listen about it's virtues as I think it's heartbreaking people are still under the illusion it's an enjoyable thing to do.
  • LaserMum
    LaserMum Posts: 133
    Options
    Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr.

I smoked for nearly 30 years. This book changed my mindset but I still stubbornly continued smoking. But I didn't enjoy smoking so much so kept on giving up. Eventually I gave up one day and just didn't start again.

If you're ready to give up now, it will help. If you're not really ready now, it will stick in your mind and help you to give up in the future.

It's worth a punt anyway :)

Good luck - whichever method you choose.

Edited to add: Been smoke free for 7 years now.
  • ChiefsChick4Life
    Options
    Have you tried vaping? I vape and it has helped me be smoke free for almost 2 years now. I did gain a little weight but it's better than lung cancer.
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    When I smoked, a good friend told me: "you realize you're paying an evil corporation to kill you?"

Just think about that next time you want to buy a pack.

I cut back gradually until one day I just said NO MORE.

And I just kept telling myself "you'll never be healthy if you keep smoking"

It's just like weight loss, you can't do it unless you really, truly want to.
  • mskiles1
    Options
    Chantix helped me. That and nicotine lozenges for the worse cravings. Of course, I am still addicted to the lozenges but it's better than smoking! LOL.

You definitely need to distract yourself. Cravings actually pass fairly quickly, but they come often at first.

You have to really want to do it. Quitting smoking is hard, and you won't feel better right away. Just keep at it and beware of "junkie thinking!"
  • tm82001
    tm82001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I too started smoking at a young age (13) and stopped cold turkey when I was 22. I am turning 44 this month and have been cigarette free for almost 22 years. It is not easy to quit....I know. I thought about smoking a cigarette daily for about 10 years and it drove me crazy. I never caved in and was proud of myself. I will be honest it is a tough thing to quit doing, but if you want it badly enough then just go cold turkey. Go for a walk, chew gum, draw, do anything that will take your mind off of it. You must replace the old habit with a new habit if you are going to be successful. Again, it will suck for a while and you will be crabby at heck, but it will be worth it in the end. Good luck....cold turkey is totally doable!
  • trentwiggly
    trentwiggly Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Find one good reason and remind yourself of it each time you are tempted to buy a pack or bum one from a friend.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Even though I am only 22 I have been smoking since I was 12, yes i know horrifying! I need to quit, and I mostly want to quit I know will power is one thing, but MAN I have more of a problem with smoking then I do stuffing my face, I am scared I will want to snack more, any tips or advice? Another thing is I get so bored working over nights I finish my work usually by 230am and still have four hours to go so usually once an hour or 2 I would go and smoke just to go outside!

I haven't read through the comments. Congrats on the sincere desire to quit. That's an important first step.

My best advice would be to join a stop smoking program. Call your local hospital and ask if they have any free stop smoking programs. Many hospitals have them in their community rooms and the programs typically run for 6 weeks. The support they give you will be great. You can also call the American Cancer Society or American Lung Association and ask if there are any programs in your area. I quit many years ago and thought I could never do it, but I did. The first few weeks are rough, but then it gets better and eventually you never think about smoking at all.
  • mimi337
    mimi337 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Absolute BEST WAY TO QUIT is the book the Easy Way to Stop Smoking. The guy goes on and on about himself and the grammar is shoddy and the writing is lame but it got me -- a smoker for 25 years! - to quit and most amazingly, I felt GREAT. He basically brainwashes you into thinking about how great it is to NOT smoke. I strongly suggest this book. There's also a tiny version that you can use for maintenance. Give it a try and post your results!
  • RobbinRL
    Options
    I am a former smoker. I quit on 10/10/10 this is after 2 previous years of using Chantex. First year i was good for about 6 months. 2nd year made it 8 months. I skipped the 3rd year after my daughter told me not to worry about it when your body is ready you will quit. The following year (10/10/2010) I quit. I did however used the last 1 week I had left of the Chantex. Chantex bothers some people but I had no issues with it. I did however gain 38 lbs. I joined MFP 2/2012 and have lost it. I am back to my norm I lost 31 total pounds, but I am good at 134 -136 lbs. vs 168 I ballooned up to!

Since 10/10/10 I have not had one cigarette, and only about 5 cravings.

What I want to add to all the suggestions is, as a very good friend told me what she did when she quit was when you get a craving you take 3 deep breaths exhaling each slowly. By the time you are done with those breaths your craving is gone. And it is. I used to wonder to myself why the hell am I hyperventilating and dizzy.....DAH DEEP BREATHS....LOL.

It worked for me and I have ZERO DESIRE TO EVER LIGHT UP AGAIN.

Robbin
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I quit using Zyban. It took about three weeks for the urge to gradually subside. The only real drawback was that I became super assertive. If someone took too long (more than 3 seconds) deciding which lottery ticket to buy at the gas station I was chiming in with my two cents. More than once did I tell people to hurry up when buying crap like lottery tickets and rolling papers.

I did suffer some mild anxiety when I stopped the zyban cold turkey against doctors orders.
  • thebigtimecharlie
    Options
    I tried this - http://www.smokinghypnosis.net Worked really well! Didnt find the app worked very well, just this.
  • DaveinNYS
    Options
    Cold turkey is the way to go, if you have the intestinal fortitude.

Sometimes, though, a little psychology is all that's needed to deliver someone to that "I can do this' moment where they can wrest control of there own minds and bodies away from their Brain -which is trying to kill them.

For those people, we have quit smoking programs that can introduce some common sense ideas that will allow the individual to once again drive their own bus.

Here's one that worked well for my wife, JoAnne: FinallyReadytoQuit.com
  • meagsdionne
    meagsdionne Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Eventually you just have to say "enough" and go for it. Prepare yourself ahead of time......supposedly cinnamon and citrus helps. I was terrified of gaining weight because I knew it would just make me start up again. (Past experience lol.) Sooooo, I used drink stirrers. Sounds silly but they really worked for me. Long thin plastic stirrers, some have ridges, some have swirls.....but I would just put them in my mouth, felt right in my hand when I was driving and the texture playing against my tongue was enough after a meal. I am 2 years smoke free in 6 days, and I smoked A LOT longer than you. Good luck!!!!!