Breastfeeding

Options
Any idea of how to adjust calorie goals when nursing? I'm feeding my almost 4 month old exclusively and don't want to risk my milk supply.
I lost 2 stone in pregnancy and it's slowly creeping back on so need to do something!

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    There are entries in the database for breastfeeding. I don't know much about it, but I wanted to bump your thread!
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Set your account to maintenance for a few weeks and see how it goes. Your baby will create the deficit and you'll lose as long as you weigh and measure your food properly. If you lose more the two pounds a week, adjust it so you're eating more. I don't recommend eating at a deficit while breastfeeding. It's an ever evolving thing, and there really isn't any way of knowing how many calories your baby is taking from you every day on top of a calorie deficit. I've lost almost 50 pounds in just over 10 months and that's my method.
  • christiesmith1017
    christiesmith1017 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Set your account to maintenance for a few weeks and see how it goes. Your baby will create the deficit and you'll lose as long as you weigh and measure your food properly. If you lose more the two pounds a week, adjust it so you're eating more. I don't recommend eating at a deficit while breastfeeding. It's an ever evolving thing, and there really isn't any way of knowing how many calories your baby is taking from you every day on top of a calorie deficit. I've lost almost 50 pounds in just over 10 months and that's my method.

Fab thank you x
  • kahlieasmom29
    kahlieasmom29 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your baby. I as well was wondering on how to loose weight while breast feeding and was looking for support. Awsome i think i found what i was looking for.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    You'll need 300-500 extra calories a day for breastfeeding. Ask your doctor, they can give you a number to hit.
  • christiesmith1017
    christiesmith1017 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You'll need 300-500 extra calories a day for breastfeeding. Ask your doctor, they can give you a number to hit.

Thank you! He said maintenance and to use feeding and exercise as my deficit. If I notice a drop obviously increase intake. He also said that eating healthier will likely increase my supply