What are the main benefits of a fasted work out?

Options
Can anyone help me answer this one?

Replies

• LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Pros
    -No farting during squats
    -Less likely to need the bathroom during workout
    -Can do first thing in the morning

Cons
    -So hungry I want to hurry up and finish my workout
    -Less focus
    -Possible headaches/fatigue
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I can't see any advantages to it.

I usually work out before eating though for convenience.

I recall as a teen rushing out right after eating dinner and playing a hard game of basketball on a full stomach. It didn't bother me at all.

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    As already stated, it's pretty individualized and depends on what the workout is for many people.

I'm good working out fasted for both short intense sessions and longer low intensity ones. But if I've got a more intense and longer workout, I'll see a reduction in performance.
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    For me, if I am going first thing in the morning (which is typical) I always go fasted but because I have to take my thyroid meds fasted and not eat for 30-60 mins after taking said meds.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Andy__Dane wrote: »
    Pros

I get an extra 10 minutes in bed before getting up for training

This is the number 1 pro.

Rolling out of bed in your gear and rolling straight into your training.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I'd say little to no benefits for weight loss/body composition

Other pros:
    Extra time to sleep
    Some people puke if they do heavy cardio on a full stomach
    For me, I like to eat breakfast with my kids so I do yoga "fasted" as soon as I wake up, so that they will be asleep and not bothering me while I'm on the mat
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Most of the pros are fitness related...particularly for endurance athletes.

Fasted exercise has no bearing on weight loss...someone with a 500 calorie deficit who is exercising fed is going to lose the same amount of weight as someone with a 500 calorie deficit who is exercising fasted.
  • Rose18l
    Rose18l Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    The myth is thay fasted cardio will burn more calories than non fasted cardio. In reality the difference between them in almost none. On the otherhand your body has less ready energy so that might impact your workout intensity.
  • nrtauthor
    nrtauthor Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    For me, personally, I get really, really, really weak if I try to do any physical activity without eating something first. Like the huge change in my endurance is baffling. Haha.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I have to eat before exercise or I just don't have the energy to do what needs to be done.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    For me the number one benefit of doing a fasted workout in the morning is not barfing. I'm going to guess that someone has said something about burning more fat than carbs and all that but the reality is that most of us have enough stored glycogen to get through 90 minutes or so of moderate exercise and that the fuel source for the workout has no bearing on weight/fat loss.

Some people like to eat a little something before working out, do what works for you.
  • dljepava
    dljepava Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    not much
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    dljepava wrote: »
    not much

Good use of context. You'll fit right in here.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    There are none. If that's what you prefer. Do it. If not, don't. In terms of fat loss or fitness, nothing. The link link from anvil is a good one.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    For me, the big pro is not puking during my workout.