How long to run a marathon?!

Options
I know this is a "how long is a piece of string" question but I want to make some longer term goals.

Has anyone gone from c25k to marathon? How long did it take you? And how much of your life was devoted to it?

My goals for this year are to get 5km by May, 10km before the end of year. Half marathon 2019 and marathon 2020! Essentially I want to run a marathon before I turn 40!

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    My first race was a HM and I decided to try it the day before the race. I was running close to thirty miles a week at the time so it wasn't difficult for me and the accomplishment felt great. If I were going for a full I think I would look up a structured plan to make sure I have enough gas in the tank. I am pretty sure you will need some long runs in that are greater than a HM to get in proper training. Good luck!
  • Sparx_81
    Sparx_81 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

Thanks for the link. I'm wasn't planning on following a plan (well loosely but definitely not religiously!) I'm doing the c25k as one of the challenges on here but I have already completed it last year and did a 10k in august so I'm using it as a boost to just get me back out running!
    Trust me I'm well aware it will take me longer than 10 weeks to run a marathon! Hence the 3 yr time frame! ;-)

My longest distance to date is 10km best time is only 1hr 18mins so I know I've a long road ahead of me!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Sparx_81 wrote: »
    I know this is a "how long is a piece of string" question but I want to make some longer term goals.

Has anyone gone from c25k to marathon? How long did it take you? And how much of your life was devoted to it?

My goals for this year are to get 5km by May, 10km before the end of year. Half marathon 2019 and marathon 2020! Essentially I want to run a marathon before I turn 40!

That's quite a leisurely pace and certainly attainable.
  • Sparx_81
    Options

Would love to do it quicker but I have to remember I have kids plus study so can't let running get in the way of other parts of my life! :-)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

I'm not sure I'm going to ever try a full marathon, but I'm kinda in your boat, just a year ahead.

Last year I did the C25K starting Jan 1 (2017). Did 1 5K in April and then started doing parkruns. Did a 10K in October (1:06 ish). I've done 2 10K so far this year. Now I've just started training for a half that will be mid June.

Unfortunately, I started my C25K at 51, so no chance of doing this before 40 for me :) But I'll see what the fall and 2019 bring if I do try a full. I'm thinking more of a tri in 2019 (was thinking of doing one in 2018 but my swimming is weak).
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

In principle you could get there in a year. It's high risk as it's not leaving any contingency for injury, illness or burnout.

From my experience, it to just over two years to get from couch to marathon, it would have been a bit less but I was ill and had to downgrade the planned first full to a Half.

That said, I did my first Ultra six weeks after the first full.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I haven’t yet done a full and I’m not in any rush to do one. I trained for a 17 mile race last year. I’m not the world’s speediest runner and to do the mileage needed to train for the 17 mile race training was almost like having a second job (including running time and pre-post run/recovery stuff). I love running, so I enjoyed it. The race was amazing, and I wouldn’t change a thing about the whole experience. But I was also very thankful to have some more normal weekends (and even weekdays during peak training weeks) after the race was over.

Training for a marathon would be adding another 3+ hours of running (total-for me-for long runs and all the runs to support the long runs) per week to the amount I ran for the 17 mile race (which already felt like a second job). I just can’t fathom that right now.

I continue to work on getting faster and fitter and perhaps at some point, I can do the marathon training mileage in not much longer than I spent doing the 17 mile training. But until then, I just don’t have that kind of time/energy to devote to a race.

Physically, I could do it if I could manage to not be injured for 5 minutes. Mentally & life-wise, I don’t think I could put that much time into training. Half? No problem. Full? Ehhh-maybe someday.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

Thanks for the link. I'm wasn't planning on following a plan (well loosely but definitely not religiously!) I'm doing the c25k as one of the challenges on here but I have already completed it last year and did a 10k in august so I'm using it as a boost to just get me back out running!
    Trust me I'm well aware it will take me longer than 10 weeks to run a marathon! Hence the 3 yr time frame! ;-)

My longest distance to date is 10km best time is only 1hr 18mins so I know I've a long road ahead of me!

If you haven't read the blog link yet, you may actually find it valuable. Part of the advise in that blog link says that if you do follow a plan, how to follow it loosely and not to follow one religiously.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Would love to do it quicker but I have to remember I have kids plus study so can't let running get in the way of other parts of my life! :-)

I run up to half distance, because I don't have the commitment to have my life taken over by a full.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

It sounds like a very sensible approach. I see so many new runners in the forums who want to go from zero to marathon overnight (slight exaggeration). Taking your time to get there is much less likely to leave you injured and allows you to build up the distances at a rate where it's still fun. Running is one of those activities, at least for me, where the training is its own reward.

I would suggest that when you're training for the half & full marathons you do follow a training plan. Hal Higdon has some great free ones (for novice runners on to people who want to podium). I come from a long line of people who do things the hard way and having a structured training plan really does make your life simpler.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I think your timeline is a good one. It gives you time to build your base conservatively, which helps avoid injury. I tried to go too fast and spent much of my first two years injured. I don't advise that. (I went from couch to HM in 6 months. A week before my HM, I developed a pelvic stress fracture. It took two more years before I was able to complete a half. My first marathon was a year later.) The more miles you run in training, the better your race will go. As stated above, there are beginner programs that only do 30-35 mpw, but they are intended to get you safely to the starting line, not necessarily the finish line. If you want to feel good about your race, you'll take your training a bit more seriously.

Taking your time also gives you time to figure out whether you actually enjoy really long runs and whether you enjoy racing. I have a love/hate relationship with both. They intimidate me and wear me out but I love the feeling of accomplishment at the end. My preference is for 5-6 mile runs, but I enjoy doing marathons, so I commit to the training, including long runs, that I need to do that as well as I can.

I disagree with the advise to not follow a plan. I didn't until I did my first marathon. That meant I did my earlier races only half trained. I finished, but I would have done much better if I'd had better training. For my marathon I was most concerned about doing too much. I can and do push myself too hard, which has led to injury. Following a plan (Higdon's Intermediate 2) meant I took rest days, enjoyed cut back weeks, built my fitness gradually, and was ready to race. My first marathon was a blast. I finished in the time I expected, and though I was exhausted and sore, I was happy and couldn't wait to do it again. I'm currently training for my 4th marathon (Boston) and chose a more challenging plan. I feel like I'm making good progress, but it also is keeping me from doing too much, as I would if I weren't following the plan. I make changes as necessary (switching days for runs to fit schedule or weather, and skipping runs when sick) but I try to follow it as closely as I can, so I get the result I want - a smiling face at the end of the race.
  • Fizzypopization
    Fizzypopization Posts: 29 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    At least 12 months or more depending on you. I tried for a half and got pretty far, but asthma made it too hard for me to break 2-3 miles. Just would nearly keel over from lack of oxygen. Never got a good pace to not need my inhaler constantly. But i went from couch to 2 miles within 4 weeks. If I pushed could have gained about a mile a week. But I was training 6 days a week. I just wish my asthma was not induced so much by exercise.
  • Sparx_81
    Options
    I think your timeline is a good one. It gives you time to build your base conservatively, which helps avoid injury. I tried to go too fast and spent much of my first two years injured. I don't advise that. (I went from couch to HM in 6 months. A week before my HM, I developed a pelvic stress fracture. It took two more years before I was able to complete a half. My first marathon was a year later.) The more miles you run in training, the better your race will go. As stated above, there are beginner programs that only do 30-35 mpw, but they are intended to get you safely to the starting line, not necessarily the finish line. If you want to feel good about your race, you'll take your training a bit more seriously.

Taking your time also gives you time to figure out whether you actually enjoy really long runs and whether you enjoy racing. I have a love/hate relationship with both. They intimidate me and wear me out but I love the feeling of accomplishment at the end. My preference is for 5-6 mile runs, but I enjoy doing marathons, so I commit to the training, including long runs, that I need to do that as well as I can.

I disagree with the advise to not follow a plan. I didn't until I did my first marathon. That meant I did my earlier races only half trained. I finished, but I would have done much better if I'd had better training. For my marathon I was most concerned about doing too much. I can and do push myself too hard, which has led to injury. Following a plan (Higdon's Intermediate 2) meant I took rest days, enjoyed cut back weeks, built my fitness gradually, and was ready to race. My first marathon was a blast. I finished in the time I expected, and though I was exhausted and sore, I was happy and couldn't wait to do it again. I'm currently training for my 4th marathon (Boston) and chose a more challenging plan. I feel like I'm making good progress, but it also is keeping me from doing too much, as I would if I weren't following the plan. I make changes as necessary (switching days for runs to fit schedule or weather, and skipping runs when sick) but I try to follow it as closely as I can, so I get the result I want - a smiling face at the end of the race.

The love/hate thing sounds very familiar! I've always played sports, tennis, hockey, badminton, etc etc etc but I never enjoyed athletics in school (memories of being made through mud in winter just bring me out in a cold sweat!)

I can do 2km comfortably enoughish normally! Then I can take a short walk break and go again, covering 10km is not too much of a problem! It's just the continuous running that is my bugbear! I wonder how much is mental Vs physical though.

I think the program is necessary too, just not as religiously or strictly. So if I'm struggling with a particular week I would probably just repeat it!

Last year I followed the podrunner plans (love them as they match the beat of the music to help your cadence) Got myself up to the freeway to 10k program and did Midnattsloppet in Stockholm with a time of 1 18. Unfortunately I then stopped and got fat so seem to have gone back a million steps...
  • Wen2Run
    Wen2Run Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I went from starting c25k in August 2013 and ran my first ultra, 30 miles, in April 2014. Took me 7 hours to run the ultra.
    Would I advise that for anyone else. Nope, though it did firmly get me addicted to ultra running, it was painful. Your time line looks good. I would look at and follow the hal higdon plans.
    In fact, that's what I am currently doing, last year I had a number of injuries, the worst being a slipped disc in the middle of a 60 miler. Had to DNF and then didn't run for almost 3 months.
    Following Hal plan now to rebuild my endurance while doing core work 3 days a week to try and keep things ticking over.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Your timing makes ton of sense and should be very attainable. You might find that the leap from 5K to 10K won't even take that long. It took me about 4 weeks to get to running 5Ks as a regular distance and ~8 weeks from day 1 to regularly running 10K. The distance adjustment really isn't that bad.

10K to half needs to be more of a focused effort. I've been running for about 8 months now and am scheduled to run my first half in April. I still haven't run 13 miles yet but am not terribly worried about being able to complete the distance at this point. To be honest, I probably could have comfortably managed a half after 5 or 6 months though I would have had to have been pretty diligent about following a structured training plan.

The weird thing is that you might actually find that boredom or time are your main enemies when you start to consider running longer distances. One of the reasons that I haven't yet run 13 miles is that it's hard for me to free up 2+ hours on most days (we have a newborn at home) and to be frank, I get a little bored running easy miles for much more than an hour at a time. I will run close to 13 miles as part of my training for the upcoming half but I'm not necessarily looking forward to those longer sessions. They're going to take forever.

I can already say that despite my initial thinking when I first started running, I no longer have any interest in training for or running a full marathon and I'll probably run this one HM just to say that I did it but then never run another again. ~10K seems to be my 'sweet spot' distance. Short enough that it's over quickly but long enough to feel like you've achieved something. After the half, I'll likely shift my focus towards a better 10K PR.
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I think my dad did about 4 months, and threw down a 3:15. That was the early 90's, and he's always been more balls than brains.

I think 6-12 months is reasonable for anyone who truly understands endurance training and can dedicate the time to training. Many would require a quality personal coach for that kind of timeline.
  • Sparx_81
    Options
    @DX2JX2
    I have 2 toddlers a preteen and 2 teens so i would happily run away for 2 hrs!