Music, chills, and exercise inspiration

Options
shaumom
shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
I know for myself, the right music can make a difference between a great work out where I feel pumped and energized, and one where I really struggle. On bad days, it can mean the difference between working out and not doing a workout at all.

I have always gotten goosebumps or chills when listening to music I love, and only recently found out that this is not actually 100% experienced by people - something like 3/4 of people get actual chills or goosebumps with good music, or a really emotional scene, while the rest don't.

So I was hoping you could answer these questions:
1. Do you experience chills or goosebumps when listening to great music?
2. How useful is music for you in motivating you during workouts or exercise? (and if not, what works for you?)

3. And lastly, the question up for debate: do you think that it's likely that folks who do experience chills with great music might find music more motivating when doing difficult tasks like exercise?

I honestly have no idea one way or the other, but I'm very curious at this point. :-)

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I like my gym but they play douchy pop music. Hence the headphones
  • stenoko7917
    stenoko7917 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The song I use for excerising are ones I've listened to so often I no longer get the chills from them, but since they are songs I love, I work harder and pretend I am dancing while doing cardio. Haha
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I do get chills with really good instrumental songs more than lyrics in songs. And is also the music that I like to listen to at the gym, or with other exercise. It is probably music that most people would be put to sleep by such as classical, classical crossover, orchestral pop, etc. Not to say that I don't listen to other types, but those are usually my go-to genres, especially when alone.

Maybe off topic but I only listen to oldies while cleaning the house, they don't give me the chills though.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    1. Yes. I am also a musician so.....
    2. Makes no difference. I have fitness goals and I'm going to do what I'm going to do.
    3. Yes, sure. If you can be receiving a psychological and emotional pleasure while working out it would aid in continuing to do it and doing it again in the future.
  • justkris_gettingfit
    justkris_gettingfit Posts: 239 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I'm definitely one who gets goosebumps from good music, mostly instrumental. The only songs that make it on my workout list are the ones that make me feel like running. Once it looses its charm, or I find myself hitting next, its gone. I agree that the right music can definitely impact motivation or productivity.
  • ABOYNAMEDWHITNEY
    ABOYNAMEDWHITNEY Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i have to listen to a good song before i go out for a ride. ill listen to a flogging molly song or something upbeat on repeat while i do my pre ride stretch and take headphones with me to listen to something else on my breaks. chills for sure. when ever im hitting that point where i can either give up or push harder on a hill or a sprint i always sing rise above by black flag even though its a political song about uprising against the system in that moment its a rocky thing hahaha
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    1. Yes. I get chills. I always have, since I was a child and I became a musician and music teacher.
    2. Yeah, music can get me pumped.
    3. No, I think a lot of people have amazing experiences with music that motivates them. I don't think you need to be one of the ones who gets chills.