one week today - disappointed!!

Options
i know i have to be patient but i really was hoping to have lost more than one pound in a week. i've logged everything, even the day i had pizza.

i'm 5'8 and 190 pounds (well, 189 now) and 45 yrs old. i have CFS/ME so i'm exercising gently when i can. it recommended here i have 1200 calories and i have cut out biscuits and the typical weight gain foods.

where am i going wrong?

Replies

• BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Loosing 1-2lbs a week is what normal and healthy weight loss is, it will not happen overnight!!! I myself have a hard time dealing with this too, but you gotta focus and take it one day at a time. 1200 cals may be too low also, if you still feel hungry, or tired, or light headed then you need to eat more. Weigh yourself once a week and measure yourself once every 2 weeks and you might see results that way too.
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Patience, it's a long slow process! Try to measure inches as well as weight cos sometimes you lose one but not the other.
    Make sure you are measuring your food and accurately logging it.
    My tips are:
    - exercise regularly not seriously (try to gradually increase your exercise intensity but don't start too high or you will have injuries and have trouble maintaining it)
    - eat back exercise calories
    - don't get too hungry (it's got to be sustainable)
  • iamnabil
    iamnabil Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A pound a week is fine, and while a little lower than I would expect from the first week of a calorie restricted diet, it is certainly a healthy number. 1200 calories puts you at the cusp of where it is hard to lose weight. Eat less, and your body will think it is starving, eat more, and you will gain. Correct me if I am wrong, but CFS/ME basically means that you are tired all the time because your brain is swelling? The only way that you can accelerate the weight loss is to increase your workout, and if it sucks to move, you may not be able to. A pound is fine.
    Bonne chance!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    give the program a chance!

I've been on here over 2 months - it's a slow process (for me; I'm 53) but it's moving. Don't be disappointed.

What works:
    Be Patient.
    Be honest with yourself
    Weigh your foods
    Log log log and log some more.
    Drink a lot of water

I am not sure but at your height, 1200 seems a low number. you may need to be eating more.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain 30lb overnight or in the space of a week, so why would you lose it that quick?!
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    These threads really annoy me. 1lb is still a lot to have lost!!! Just be grateful the scale is moving at all and you're going in the right direction.
  • floop1207
    floop1207 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    yep - the rocket may help .....

i also have a condition called diabetes insipidus where my body does not retain water (caused by a pituitary tumor) so i have to take medication for this. it difficult for me to get dehydration - hydration - waterlogged balance at all times and i suppose weighing myself in a morning is not a great idea as i have to take more medication before bed to prevent myself having to get up to use the bathroom every 10 minutes. my rings are always tight when i wake so i suppose i retain water easily.

i'll take some measurements too so i can compare those.

(i'm 5' 8 btw)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I think that patience is one of the defining characteristics that determines who succeeds at this and who gives up. You have to realize that progress is not going to be fast (at least not if you're doing it right) and sometimes you'll have weeks where you lose nothing, and you may even have weeks where you gain some.

There are things you can do to make sure you progress, like eating at a deficit that isn't too large, using a food scale, eating enough protein/fat, and making sustainable changes. But you also have to know that you can do everything right and still have slower progress. Stick with what you're doing for a month and then reevaluate if you aren't happy with your results.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

i also have a condition called diabetes insipidus where my body does not retain water (caused by a pituitary tumor) so i have to take medication for this. it difficult for me to get dehydration - hydration - waterlogged balance at all times and i suppose weighing myself in a morning is not a great idea as i have to take more medication before bed to prevent myself having to get up to use the bathroom every 10 minutes. my rings are always tight when i wake so i suppose i retain water easily.

(i'm 5' 8 btw)

Water fluctuations can really throw you off. My weight last week on my official weigh in day was 123.2. Last night I had Chinese food, and this morning the scale says 125.8. Did I gain 2 1/2 lbs of fat? No. It's just water retention and possibly food still in my digestive track. Weight can fluctuate +/- 5 lbs.
  • mmdn75
    mmdn75 Posts: 1
    Options
    for the first week I too was disappointed by my weight loss, however, I was not paying particular attention to the weight and size of my portions,
    I bought my self kitchen scales and now try to weigh my portions and I found found the weight starting to drop off at a steady 2lb per week.
    I hope this helps

:smile:
  • floop1207
    Options
    thank you :)

i apologise for my impatient post - i posted a couple of days ago simply asking for help with numbers as tdee etc is all new to me. however, no one replied - maybe the post was not brash enough?

:)
  • floop1207
    Options
    for the first week I too was disappointed by my weight loss, however, I was not paying particular attention to the weight and size of my portions,
    I bought my self kitchen scales and now try to weigh my portions and I found found the weight starting to drop off at a steady 2lb per week.
    I hope this helps

:smile:

thank you. i've ordered some digital scales, just waiting for delivery (the ones i have aren't very accurate - cheapy ones).
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

i apologise for my impatient post - i posted a couple of days ago simply asking for help with numbers as tdee etc is all new to me. however, no one replied - maybe the post was not brash enough?

Things can get lost easily here, especially if you post around this time of day when most of the Americans are still sleeping (especially on a Sunday). I'm about to get back in bed myself.

Anyway if you post your stats here someone will help you figure your numbers. Have you used the IIFYM calculator?

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • floop1207
    Options

(i'm 5' 8 btw)

Water fluctuations can really throw you off. My weight last week on my official weigh in day was 123.2. Last night I had Chinese food, and this morning the scale says 125.8. Did I gain 2 1/2 lbs of fat? No. It's just water retention and possibly food still in my digestive track. Weight can fluctuate +/- 5 lbs.

can water fluctuate by that much weight?!! no wonder i feel huge some mornings and much trimmer later in the day.
  • floop1207
    Options
    A pound a week is fine, and while a little lower than I would expect from the first week of a calorie restricted diet, it is certainly a healthy number. 1200 calories puts you at the cusp of where it is hard to lose weight. Eat less, and your body will think it is starving, eat more, and you will gain. Correct me if I am wrong, but CFS/ME basically means that you are tired all the time because your brain is swelling? The only way that you can accelerate the weight loss is to increase your workout, and if it sucks to move, you may not be able to. A pound is fine.
    Bonne chance!

yes, i have very little energy at times, even for day to day mundane tasks like personal care and house chores. i have to be careful i don't overdo things or it can put me in bed for days.
  • floop1207
    Options
    Loosing 1-2lbs a week is what normal and healthy weight loss is, it will not happen overnight!!! I myself have a hard time dealing with this too, but you gotta focus and take it one day at a time. 1200 cals may be too low also, if you still feel hungry, or tired, or light headed then you need to eat more. Weigh yourself once a week and measure yourself once every 2 weeks and you might see results that way too.

will start the measuring too - and maybe find out those jeans i would like to get back into (one day!!). thank you :)
  • floop1207
    Options

Things can get lost easily here, especially if you post around this time of day when most of the Americans are still sleeping (especially on a Sunday). I'm about to get back in bed myself.

Anyway if you post your stats here someone will help you figure your numbers. Have you used the IIFYM calculator?

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

i have entered my height and weight on there with little exercise and it gives me a TDEE of 2068 - i'm confused!!
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    If you've lost a pound in your first week, then you're doing better than I did; I didn't see a loss for 3 weeks. This isn't meant to be an instant fix! You're doing well!
  • dobermomof3
    Options
    The trainer at my gym said it takes your body 4 weeks to catch up to the lower calories and extra exercise! Be patient grasshopper it will come off if you are consistent. Drink lots of water, weigh your food, take measurements of yourself. Through away the scale. Be gentle with yourself. And what is ME
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I am 45 as well and a wee bit less weight. More then 1 or 2 lbs a week I don't loose either. You have to keep in mind: the less you have to loose the less you will loose a week, try to see it in the right perspective. It is really not that we will loose tons in the first weeks, like someone who is far over 300 lbs will do! You're doing great and enjoy all the small steps, because in the end they will be big as well!