Any females at 15% body fat??

Options
2»

Replies

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,975 Member
    Options
    Up until I got fat (with my first true desk job), I was 13-15% most of my life. I didn't 'try' to maintain there most of the time, that's just where I ended up (at the time I was very active and pretty fit). I think it looked pretty good on me, I certainly didn't look too thin. Trying to (very slowly) get back to that, but the losses are very slow as I'm barely in a deficit as I try to increase my fitness (which is more important to me right now).
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Yeah right. I get to like 18% for a day and I'm like "*kitten* that let's eat"

My complete disinterest in cutting cals is one of the reasons I'd never do a bikini competition.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

My complete disinterest in cutting cals is one of the reasons I'd never do a bikini competition.

Please. I wish I could cut on what you could. I'm miserable in maintenance.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Hence why I'm never in maintenance. Always gaining.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options

Please. I wish I could cut on what you could. I'm miserable in maintenance.

I know, I'm really sorry.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I never have actually measured body fat with anything reliable enough to claim a percentage but I’m guessing at the end of my last cut for my weightlifting meet in October I was approximately 15%(could have been slightly more). For me it wasn’t super difficult to get to. A modest 250 calorie deficit (note I’ve done four or so bulk cut cycles in the last few years) but I couldn’t imagine maintaining it for any real length of time.

*edit to add when I said not that difficult I guess I meant mentally. To get to that level I was weighing and measuring every calorie/macro that went in my mouth with zero booze or treats to ensure I had enough energy for my lifting sessions.

WOW
  • monicalifestylefitness
    Options
    GretaGirl8 wrote: »
    how do you determine your body fat?

I went to a facility that does hydrostatic testing.
    Basically they submerge your whole body in water. It’s the most accurate way of testing bf.
  • monicalifestylefitness
    Options
    I'm bulking right now, so not that low. 5'5", 136 lbs, 18.5%. When I cut, lowest I've gone is 16%. The secret: caloric deficit. (Shhh...don't tell anyone LOL) Seriously, when i cut I do TDEE minus 250 and my workouts are more running and Crossfit vs. the no cardio and powerbuilding I do while bulking.

ETA I'm 36.

Ok I’m not ready to do a deficit yet. Like you I’m liking the eating 2,000 calories a day. I think I need to eat that much based on my workouts. It just feels right.

• monicalifestylefitness
    Options
    Rose18l wrote: »
    Lowest I had was 17% to be honest 15% is hard to get as a female and even harder to maintain even with great genetics.

Yeah and I’m Hispanic so definitely don’t have the best of genetics. Lol
  • monicalifestylefitness
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I'm not sure of my bf%.. 15% is pretty lean though and I think of bikini competitor leanness.. not something I would sustain very long.

I could be totally wrong but I think bikini competitors are 8-12% but don’t quote me on that. I’ve never had any desire to do that, or even look into it. It’s definitely not maintainable. And women mess w their metabolism and they never look how they look on stage.
  • AEC50
    AEC50 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I never have actually measured body fat with anything reliable enough to claim a percentage but I’m guessing at the end of my last cut for my weightlifting meet in October I was approximately 15%(could have been slightly more). For me it wasn’t super difficult to get to. A modest 250 calorie deficit (note I’ve done four or so bulk cut cycles in the last few years) but I couldn’t imagine maintaining it for any real length of time.

Holy crap, you look incredible <3

Thank you kindly :) Honestly I couldn't imagine sitting at that percentage long term just based on the lifestyle it would take to maintain. I'm much happier sitting closer to the 17% or so I probably am in my current profle pic between cutting down for meets.

Your profile pic is also amazing

Ha-Ha Well thank you again. I've definitely come a long way since the days of weighing 235 lbs. Thanks MFP lol

I was impressed and then you add that it was a total transformation and I'm super impressed. Way to go, woman!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I'm not sure of my bf%.. 15% is pretty lean though and I think of bikini competitor leanness.. not something I would sustain very long.

I could be totally wrong but I think bikini competitors are 8-12% but don’t quote me on that. I’ve never had any desire to do that, or even look into it. It’s definitely not maintainable. And women mess w their metabolism and they never look how they look on stage.

Men and women who compete in physique completions only maintain stage weight for a week or so before they hit the stage and then tend eat pizza like it was the last day on Earth the hour they get out of their suits. Definitely not maintainable.
  • monicalifestylefitness
    Options
    I have never had my bf% measured by a professional. my scales say its 25%...... but given my definition and photo comparison my coach says it is around 15%. I do have a pretty lean figure, I CrossFit and run quite a bit. I am 172cm and 59kg. I don't try and maintain this level of leaness and eat "normally" i'd say. That being said I don't drink alcohol very often at all and we don't eat out all that much just because that's how we live life, not on purpose. Any reason you want to get to 15%? I am genuinely not bothered what my body fat is so long as i can do the things i want to do (lift, run etc.) and like how i look. It is really hard to get a good measure so just like muscle mass i kinda let it be.

Um I just figured that maybe I’d see more muscle definition. And that’s my goal. So my thinking was maybe 15% would be the number. I’m only lifting right now. No real cardio. Although my Fitbit says I’m in cardio zone 30-50%of the time.
    And this is the first time I ever got hydrostatic testing to find out where I am. Just as a reference point.
  • monicalifestylefitness
    Options

I got down to 15% BF (DEXA and BodPod) and with my build I no way looked like a bikini competitor. In fact, I looked a good 2-3% higher visually. It's just because I happen to have no boobs and not a lot of muscle mass.

OP, it wasn't very difficult to get there. It took me about 12-14 weeks of eating at a slight deficit and doing a combination of strength training and Interval cardio to go from ~23% BF down to 15%. Staying there however wasn't easy and I have gained body fat back. I haven't had a follow up DEXA to confirm just how much however. Guesstimating I probably maintain between 17-20%.

Oh for sure, it will definitely depend on body composition, where you carry fat and muscle. I would imagine if you compared 10 women at 15% they would all look very different!

I think of the photo on the chart there (which again is just one example), that is probably why.

Yes that’s what the guy that did my bf testing said. He said even some men don’t show ab definition at 10% that they’d need to get down to 6-8%.. and like you said everybody is different.
    For me I carry my fat in my arms & abs. Ugh. Hate it!!
  • monicalifestylefitness
    Options
    saragd012 wrote: »
    The lowest I ever got was 15.9% but I had a hell of a time maintaining there for long. Unfortunately I gained a good deal of bf back when I dropped down to one workout a day, even with adjusting my calories.

Wow that’s crazy! I definitely don’t want to do two a days.
  • monicalifestylefitness
    Options

*edit to add when I said not that difficult I guess I meant mentally. To get to that level I was weighing and measuring every calorie/macro that went in my mouth with zero booze or treats to ensure I had enough energy for my lifting sessions.

Thank you for that.. and booooo.. I thought it would’ve been a little more attainable. Because of the fact that I’m just doing it for me & no competition. So that would be silly for me to torture myself just for the heck of it. Lol
  • monicalifestylefitness
    Options

P.s you look so amazing! I wish I’d show that much muscle

• monicalifestylefitness
    Options
    15% is really hard to get for a woman but it can be done with lots of hard work and discipline. Lowest I've gotten is about 18-19% and I am currently working toward 16-17% after a bulk. I take all BF measurements with a grain of salt. Most are inaccurate in big ways. It should be noted also that the older you are the harder it is to do and like most ladies will tell you it's not easily maintainable. I'm coming up on 45(June) soon and am under no illusion that it may be impossible to reach goal %. Also, it can take years to get to a certain BF% like that depending on your starting point. Good Luck to you.

This isn't the best BF image chart but it gives you an idea kind of what the percentages look like.
    evafra6n7ycv.jpg

Great picture. I look in between 21-23% maybe because I’ve had 4 kids so my stomach is most annoying.