Simple lunch/dinner ideas

I am looking for simple, easy high protein and low carb"ish" ideas for lunch and dinner. My daily breakfast and snacks are always the same but i struggle to come up with different ideas that are pretty easy and basic (i have a 3 year old that keeps me busy!) Any ideas would be appreciated!!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Think about dinner (and lunch too, if it's similar to dinner) like this: A protein, a starch, a veg. Any combination of those three elements will produce an acceptable, nutritious meal. It might not produce a delicious and tasty meal, but what's delicious and tasty is subjective anyway, so that's why it's up to you to decide what's for dinner. You can make it easier by rotating the same dinners through the week, maybe leaving one day open for new recipes, or just have themes (ethnic cuisine, or preparation technique, or type of protein or starch) for each weekday.

To save time and work, cook and eat the same meals, together. You're a role model, and family meals are important for kids. If time is very restrained, cut back on snacks.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,267 Member
    Google: nutritious crock pot meals. You'll be amazed what you can throw in a pot in the morning and eat at dinner, along with maybe prepping a small salad or other veggie. I use my instant pot a couple times a week and with two kids under two it is a lifesaver. Got chili going in it this morning for when we get home.
    I also use emeals.com to help me plan our heart healthy menu for the week.
  • JaiRocket
    JaiRocket Posts: 25 Member
    Something I always have ready to go in my fridge is baby spinach, sliced red grapes, and shredded chicken breast. Its nice to be able to easily toss together a salad when I'm on the run. Because of the grapes I don't need any dressing either.
  • stenoko7917
    stenoko7917 Posts: 9 Member
    I always cut up some lettuce and extra veggies before I head to school, it takes me maybe 10 mins at most. I always put a bit of fat (feta cheese) for vitamin absorption, but is quick and easy.

For breakfasts I make a large pot of porridge with fruit in it and eat it for a couple days, but if soggy porridge makes you gag I would not recommend

Also, boiled eggs can be made in advance and come in their own wrapper, so are very portable and can be added to your salad for protein.

In keeping with that you can put lunch meats such as ham or turkey breast on salad for added protein! My dad does this all the time and calls them chef salads.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,383 Member
    edited March 2018
    Do you have an Instant Pot?

There are lots of delicious, easy low-carb recipes here: https://www.twosleevers.com
  • jwilk241
    jwilk241 Posts: 43 Member
    I meal prep my lunches for the week on Sundays which really makes my life easier! I just searched "meal prep" on Pinterest and found a bunch of recipes and sites that have great ideas. Some of my favorites are chicken meatballs with zucchini noodle spaghetti, greek chicken bowls, and shrimp taco bowls. Here's the link to my Pinterest board so you can follow the links: https://www.pinterest.com/jessicakaitlin/meal-prep/
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    We do a lot of 'a protein and frozen veggies' meals here. Sometimes I make a batch of rice or mashed potatoes to go with it. Chicken sausage, chicken breast/thighs (I like thighs/quarters better as you can just roast them in the oven without worrying about getting them too dry), fish are what we eat the most.

Tacos are easy too, just brown some meat with seasoning and add whatever you want (I like salsa, sour cream, cheese, avocado, and beans). Just use corn shells or make it a taco salad if you want to keep it lower carb.

Dinner is going to be stew tonight, only work is cutting the onions, potatoes, and the meat, and my Instant Pot does the rest.

I strongly suggest Skinnytaste.com for recipe ideas though. It's more satisfying to me when I eat something I really want and find a lower calorie recipe for it, than eating boring food (I've been having a hard time with frozen veggies so I've been spending more calories on the pre-seasoned/sauce stuff).
  • Oma827
    Oma827 Posts: 114 Member
    Brown boneless chicken breast in skillet. Move to one side and sauté frozen niblet corn for a minute. Add a can of black beans and a can of Rotel Mexican style diced tomatoes (or chunky, or fire-roasted). Heat through. Voila!