Torn between intuitive eating and eating up all calories

Options
I've recently been eating low calories for months, way below what I should be eating. I'm slowly trying to increase it, but I don't know which calorie intake I should follow because I may have damaged my metabolism and therefore making my BMR lower but I just follow what MFP set for me for the mean time (for most days, sometimes I go over because of a binge but other times I'm under) 1290. I'm 25, 5'3, 113lbs (used to be 179lbs, lost it in 7 months) I workout three-four times a week, light cardio and weights, but I'm not sure if it counts because I'm sedentary on most days.

Problem is, after the diet, I don't know how to eat anymore. The program I was on tells me to have three meals a day, I was trained for months to do that so I got used to it. We never counted calories. Also, it developed a snacking habit for me because then my meals had to be 5 hours apart. I didn't like this snacking habit I developed. Now, I am on maintenance and I am lost as to what to do. I honestly think I've developed an ED from this. I'm too paranoid with food choices, how much it weighs, what I'll eat for llunch it's like my life revolves around food and it's taking control of my life. I've had a few binges, but restricted the next few days and what I noticed that I no longer know when I'm hungry or I'm eating just because I have to, snacking etc.

I started trying out intermittent fasting because I wanted to know the feeling of being hungry again and distinguish that it is hunger. I've been playing around with 16:8, 14:10 intervals 5 times a week. I found that it has helped me distinguish hunger from plain boredom eating or thirst (I think) but now I found that sometimes I haven't been reaching 1290 calories per day when I do IF. I could eat more just so I could eat my calories but then that would defeat the purpose of me trying to learn how to eat when I'm hungry and not because I have to. I really don't know what I'm doing anymore. I'm just so confused.

The program I was on had guidelines too. If we say gained weight the next day because of a binge or something, we'd have to go carb free for 2 days (no rice, nuts, pasta, bread) and condiments except for salt, pepper, a few spices, balsamic vinegar and low fat mayo. So it totally changes my food menu since bread is what usually makes up my calories. Also we're only allowed 2 fruits a day.

Anyway, should I eat when I'm hungry or should I eat to reach 1290 cals/day? (I use 1290 because I'm not sure what my BMR is anymore since I've eaten way below calories for months and it may be different for someone my age, height and weight who hasn't damaged their metabolism yet. So I don't know where to start. Sometimes I stop when I'm full and then I think to myself oh no I haven't eaten all my calories yet but I'm not hungry! Help?

Replies

• mssteel90
    mssteel90 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new to this, but if I don't feel hungry I don't eat, I don't care if I am under my calorie/kilojule intake for the day, on the flip side I don't really kind if I go over, I wouldn't think that trying to push yourself to eat more because you haven't reached a limit calculated by a computer is nessicarily the best thing to do. I will say I am a bit mor conscious of the types of food I eat now though. But I'm no nutrition expert I just think unless you are trying to loose weight it wouldn't really hurt to be under. But I would definitely see someone if food is controling your daily activities (ie. I can't go to lunch with my friends because I won't know the exact nutritional values for my food) you should probably see someone, because eating disorders are a tough thing to deal with and not something you want to develope, and something you should get sorted as soon as possible if you have already develope an E.D.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    You don't feel hungry because you're used to functioning on that little amount. If that is not something you'd like to stay at for the rest of your life, you need to start incorporating more calories, 100 at a time, every few days. In the beginning, you may need to force in the calories, depending on what you choose to eat. Eventually, your body will become accustomed to the new calories, you won't see gains and 1290 calories will no longer satisfy.

I can understand teaching yourself to intuitively eat, but do you want to be restricted to 1290 calories forever? Heal your metabolism. Get to a point where you can eat proper maintenance calories for your body size and only then try intuitive eating.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    You don't feel hungry because you're used to functioning on that little amount. If that is not something you'd like to stay at for the rest of your life, you need to start incorporating more calories, 100 at a time, every few days. In the beginning, you may need to force in the calories, depending on what you choose to eat. Eventually, your body will become accustomed to the new calories, you won't see gains and 1290 calories will no longer satisfy.

I can understand teaching yourself to intuitively eat, but do you want to be restricted to 1290 calories forever? Heal your metabolism. Get to a point where you can eat proper maintenance calories for your body size and only then try intuitive eating.

I agree with this.. but would also add: seeking proffessional help is a good idea. It really does sound like you have an ED and it would be best to consult someone professional who can give you the right steps to recover from it.
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new to this, but if I don't feel hungry I don't eat, I don't care if I am under my calorie/kilojule intake for the day, on the flip side I don't really kind if I go over, I wouldn't think that trying to push yourself to eat more because you haven't reached a limit calculated by a computer is nessicarily the best thing to do. I will say I am a bit mor conscious of the types of food I eat now though. But I'm no nutrition expert I just think unless you are trying to loose weight it wouldn't really hurt to be under. But I would definitely see someone if food is controling your daily activities (ie. I can't go to lunch with my friends because I won't know the exact nutritional values for my food) you should probably see someone, because eating disorders are a tough thing to deal with and not something you want to develope, and something you should get sorted as soon as possible if you have already develope an E.D.

Yeah, I don't feel right eating more when I'm not hungry. I've been doing well lately but eating out is a pain! So much factors to consider.
  • WanderingPomme
    Options

No, I don't want to restrict myself to 1290 forever. I don't know how to heal my metabolism. I don't know what my RMR/BMR is. I really think it's below what the calculators are telling me. :(
  • WanderingPomme
    Options

I agree with this.. but would also add: seeking proffessional help is a good idea. It really does sound like you have an ED and it would be best to consult someone professional who can give you the right steps to recover from it.

Yeah, probably a dietitian? or a nutritionist?
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options

Yeah, probably a dietitian? or a nutritionist?

Which one is the one that requires a degree in your country? Pick the one that actually requires a legally recognised degree. I think its the nutritionist but I am not sure. Some doctors and nurses are also qualified.. depends on their specialty.
  • WanderingPomme
    Options
    Okay! Thank you! :)
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    No, I don't want to restrict myself to 1290 forever. I don't know how to heal my metabolism. I don't know what my RMR/BMR is. I really think it's below what the calculators are telling me. :(

Yeah, if you've been eating very low calorie for months, your BMR is almost certainly below what the calculators report. Very low calorie diets cause a signficant drop in BMR - at least 10% if not more. Recent article on "Biggest Loser" contestants found that six months in, they were burning an average of 500 calories per day less than someone of their weight who had not previously been dieting or weighed more.