Going to the mattresses

Options
huntersvonnegut
huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
edited March 2018 in Chit-Chat
My wife and I expect to be in the market for a new one soon. Any recommendations? We recently visited her brother who had a memory foam mattress in the guest bedroom and we were very comfortable. Thanks.

Replies

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Don't buy Tempur Pedic.
    Overpriced piece of crap.

• huntersvonnegut
    Options
    81Katz wrote: »
    Don't buy Tempur Pedic.

LOL, thanks. That’s the brand he had and when I looked them up on line I realized we weren’t going to that route. I know a good night’s sleep is important and I’m willing to invest in good quality that will last but not quite as much for that brand
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    81Katz wrote: »
    Don't buy Tempur Pedic.

LOL, thanks. That’s the brand he had and when I looked them up on line I realized we weren’t going to that route. I know a good night’s sleep is important and I’m willing to invest in good quality that will last but not quite as much for that brand

I'm just mad it cost so much to sleep just as shtty. :lol:

• km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    I bought a $400 mattress from Sams club and it's honestly the best mattress I've had. My sister and her husband have a sleep number and they love it if you got that kind of money.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I guess YMMV on Tempur Pedic. My wife and I have had ours for almost five years and I look forward to crawling in bed every night. I have had arthritis-related pain in my lower back and she used to have back pain from mild scoliosis and could only sleep on her side, not any more. I've not seen any of the permanent depression issues others mentioned and Tempur Pedic has some sort of warranty protecting against that (at least they did when we bought ours). We did spend a little more than I wanted to but this was before Leesa, Purple, and Casper showed up in the direct-to-consumer segment and I thought it was a better option than sleep number. I'd probably have gone with one of those had they been more readily available at the time. Most of them seem to have some sort of in-home trial period (100 night?) so you can see how you like it.
  • huntersvonnegut
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    I bought a $400 mattress from Sams club and it's honestly the best mattress I've had. My sister and her husband have a sleep number and they love it if you got that kind of money.

Thanks. We have a Costco membership. I’ll have to check out what they have.
  • slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I got my mattress from bedinabox.com (also before Leesa and Purple). It's a memory foam that was a little more firm than I liked, so I bought a pillow top mattress pad and it's great now. My parents have a Temperpedic and after sleeping at my house a few nights they bought a pillow top mattress pad and like it much more. Bedinabox is more expensive now, but still cheaper than Temperpedic, so good for comparison at least.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I have a Tempur Pedic "Rhapsody", and find it amazing, sleep wonderfully every single night, it shows zero sign of wear and was purchased mid-2011. However, it was pricey for sure...even thinking about the sticker on that King mattress makes me a little on edge even now! ha
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I have a feathertop. So yummy !!!!!
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    We have a Sealy memory foam that has a little bit of cooking gel in it. It's not as expensive as tempurpedic and still the the best mattress I've ever had. We go my daughter a memory foam from Costco for a lot less and it's comfy
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Don't ask me..... I usually have to sleep on the couch or out in the garage.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    What ever happened to waterbeds?
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    We got a sleep number 4 months ago.
    It's much more affordable than people think.
    I look at it like this- we drive 40k $ cars but can't invest in a good nights sleep?
    We pay a monthly payment of 132$ for ours. It's perfect. My number is 34.
    I suggest anyone interested go into a sleep number store and experience the demo .
  • jaycanchu
    jaycanchu Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have a pillowtop, and it’s okay
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Don't ask me..... I usually have to sleep on the couch or out in the garage.

Sleeping in the garage?? That’s a bit harsh!
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    The brand is largely unimportant - it’s what you find comfortable that matters. I have friends who have spent fortunes on an orthopaedic mattress because they thought that more money meant a better mattress. They hated it because they don’t need it and it isn’t suited to them. Set yourself a budget and shop to that budget after visiting a few stores and trying a few out.
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options
    I have been looking at either a Leesa or a Casper. But, haven't made a commitment yet. Not planning to replace the cheap mattress I have until later this year.

I did run across this: https://bestmattressonline.org/
  • huntersvonnegut
    Options
    I have been looking at either a Leesa or a Casper. But, haven't made a commitment yet. Not planning to replace the cheap mattress I have until later this year.

I did run across this: https://bestmattressonline.org/

Thanks for the link. I've checked out numerous other review sites trying to reach a some consensus.