Increasing Metabolism

Options
I was reading on-line last night about ways to boost my metabolism and found at more than one site that both coffee and green tea provide a boost. Has anyone here found that to work. Typically I drink 1-2 cups of coffee a day, or switch to decaf after two cups. I've never drank much green tea, though I like it, but would happily add it to my nearly entire water intake on a daily basis if there was anything to this.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    No.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Sorry, there's nothing to it. But exercise boosts your metabolism.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Caffeine gives you some energy, that’s about it. Exercise, eat right and add some muscle is your answer.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, a drink cannot give you a higher metabolism. I would focus on building sustained, long term health through regular exercise and better eating habits to find what you are looking for.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    There's a great deal of misinformation floating around cyberspace about foods or supplements that boost your metabolism. Most of it is circulated by companies trying to sell you something and is completely baseless. Caffeine makes you feel, temporarily, more energetic but it does not increase your metabolic rate. Similarly I have seen lots of claims for the magical properties of green tea with a noticeable absence of science to back them up.

Even the old tried and true method of increasing lean muscle mass doesn't result in your body becoming a calorie burning furnace (or whatever imagery the advertiser wants to use) For every lb of muscle that you gain you'll burn an extra 10 calories or so at rest and putting on muscle takes time, work and patience.
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    Snail’s pace? How slow are you talking about?
  • thelifeilove1
    thelifeilove1 Posts: 195 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I'm at 37 pounds down since June 2017, but these past six months its really slowed in coming off. I'm averaging about 1 1/2 pounds per month - this with a caloric intake fluctuating between 1500-1200 calories per day. My goal is to take off another 78 pounds. I'm afraid if I drop my calories even more I'll slow burn even more, or feel deprived and stop trying.
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    It sounds like a good rate to me. How many more pounds do you have left?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    No. Your metabolic pathways are well established and don't vary with any statistical significance.

Eat at a moderate deficit, gradually increase your exercise and think long term.
  • marckilgore5342
    marckilgore5342 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee before my morning workout, because I have more energy for the workout and end up burning more calories because I can work harder. I also drink green tea because I just get tired of plain water. I'm hopeful it helps, but honestly have seen zero effect from the green tea.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I think much of that is based on calling metabolism, what your body burns all day.
    Which isn't correct, all day is called TDEE.

Stimulants during a diet can keep the natural many times occurring general slowdown of movement from happening.

Then again many with step-trackers keep at a goal and don't suffer from it either.

But the above referenced moderate, or reasonable, deficit, solves the problem too by not causing the body to feel the need to adapt so badly to slow you down in movement.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    No. Your metabolic pathways are well established and don't vary with any statistical significance.

Eat at a moderate deficit, gradually increase your exercise and think long term.

It’s taken me more than 40 years to learn this, but I think I have it finally. Just impatient to get to a reasonable weight now that I understand that by trying to rush things I set myself up for failure when I can’t sustain that level of intensity.

Bravo!!! Build a foundation for success. Take things slowly, thoughtfully, and once you decide on a path, act deliberately.

I don't want anyone thinking that metabolism slows with age or any other such nonsense. The only reason this slows with age is due to decreased muscle mass as we tend to be less active as we get older, but it doesn't have to happen.

Your metabolism is a sequence of bio-chemical reactions all of which occur at a very sustained and predictable rate. If anyone tells you otherwise, they are likely trying to sell you something.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee before my morning workout, because I have more energy for the workout and end up burning more calories because I can work harder. I also drink green tea because I just get tired of plain water. I'm hopeful it helps, but honestly have seen zero effect from the green tea.

So that’s a “no”.
  • thelifeilove1
    thelifeilove1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options

78 to go to be at 130. I'm 5'2".
  • L1zardQueen
    Options

78 to go to be at 130. I'm 5'2".

Gosh, you are doing so great! Keep your head in the game!