Fitness Tracker

Options
What kind of fitness tracker does everyone use? I currently have HR charge and I was looking to upgrade. The charge is horrible at tracking my biking. I was looking into the Apple Watch or the Fitbit Ionic. But I’ve been reading reviews on both...not pretty lol

Replies

• OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin fenix 5. Quite expensive, but you get what you pay for.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Fenix 3 HR. Not as expensive as the 5 and does pretty much all I need.
  • curiousgp
    curiousgp Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    garmin vivosmart hr - i like it
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Garmin 735xt for cycling swimming and running. Fitbit charge for everyday life....not linked to MFP
  • BeautyNBriefcase
    BeautyNBriefcase Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    can anyone help me sync my Fitbit HR to my Android phone? i really need MFP to see my Fitbit activity. Help!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin Vivoactive HR. I've had it since it came out and in the last year started biking and I'm very happy with it.
  • kathleenneriducharme
    kathleenneriducharme Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Garmin Forerunner 35. Not too expensive and easy to use.
  • johnien
    johnien Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Garmin vivosmart and I love it got it refurbished on amazon for 60.00
    Only thing I don't like is the inaccurate stair counting
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Another Vivactive HR here.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Garmin Vivoactive 3 here LOL
  • malcolmjcooper
    malcolmjcooper Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Garmin forerunner 235 does all I need
  • whocares2018
    whocares2018 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I went with the Fitbit blaze! Liking it so far! Thanks all!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Fitbit charge 2...I mostly use it to just track steps. I cycle as well and I put my rides into the Fitbit app, but I don't let Fitbit track it, I use my Garmin bike computer for that. I only bought mine because my exercise volume is about 1/2 of what it has been the past few years so I thought it appropriate to start monitoring my general activity.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I went with the Fitbit blaze! Liking it so far! Thanks all!

I hope you have better luck with the Blaze than I did. Mine crapped out on me after a year.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Garmin Forerunner 935 which is essentially the plastic version of the Fenix 5 and $50-$100 cheaper. The same software, the same updates, a different body (and price). When I'm on the bike outside I use an Edge 520.
  • Triplestep
    Triplestep Posts: 239 Member
    Options

I just got one of these and I have not been able to sync it with my phone, so I don't get any phone notifications. If I can't get this to work via Garmin support, I'm going to have to take it back. But it does seem pretty accurate with steps, flights of stairs and sleep.

Question, though - when I sync to MFP using a cable and my laptop, it adds exercise calories. How does it "decide" how many of it's estimated calories burned to attribute as exercise calories? I suppose this question is for Vivoactive 3 users, or any tracker that does this.
  • paddydiver24
    paddydiver24 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Triplestep wrote: »

I just got one of these and I have not been able to sync it with my phone, so I don't get any phone notifications. If I can't get this to work via Garmin support, I'm going to have to take it back. But it does seem pretty accurate with steps, flights of stairs and sleep.

Question, though - when I sync to MFP using a cable and my laptop, it adds exercise calories. How does it "decide" how many of it's estimated calories burned to attribute as exercise calories? I suppose this question is for Vivoactive 3 users, or any tracker that does this.

I have a vivoactive 3...no issues here. The garmin connect on the android and pc work together great. The sync between MFP and garmin connect has a matrix for the average BMI and adjusts a bit for heart rate.

Good luck...I love my vivoactive 3. If anybody wants to connect on garmin connect...pm me and we'll swap garmin names
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Triplestep wrote: »

You might want to try asking here
    https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into-sports/health-fitness/vivoactive-3-aa

Although traffic there is a lot less than on MFP.
  • lucyricky2
    lucyricky2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    i use runtastic app on my phone for walking and it automatically goes to mfp and facebook. i do alot of walking so it works good for me.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @whocares2018 Try DC Rainmaker for a comprehensive review of different trackers.

Important things to consider.
    1. Does it track all activities you do? I have a 35 and there is no provision for downhill/cross country skiing. So I have to set it to Bike mode and then convert it to Skiing after downloading it into Garmin. If you use a 2nd on-line tracker then you would have to edit/convert the data in them also.
    2. Battery Life. If you do multi-event activities ( Tri-athlon, Loppets, Endurance-obstacle races ) you night need longer battery life.
    3. Comfortable Wrist Band.
    4. Do you need a Heart Rate monitor?