Carb, protein and fat % ?

Options
kazane1
kazane1 Posts: 264 Member
edited March 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
What does everyone find works best for them when adjusting your calorie intake by % on this app?

I weigh 128lb and stand at 5ft 5 and I am aiming to bulk and to gain muscle and my current intake is:
Calories - 3,089
Carbs - 513g - 61%
Fat - 58g - 17%
Protein - 142g - 18%

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I aim for over 100g of protein, which is 25% of my cals. 30-35% of my cals from fat and the rest carbs.
  • kazane1
    Options
    I aim for over 100g of protein, which is 25% of my cals. 30-35% of my cals from fat and the rest carbs.

How much do you weigh and how tall are you?
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    A lot of it depends on individual training and goals.

I’m training for cardio-based endurance events so I eat a lot of carbs (I’m fueling during 2+ hour workouts and recovering with carby shakes).
    So I’m 55% carb, 15-17% fat, 27-30% protein. This is to retain as much muscle as possible while losing weight.
    On my rest days, when I don’t train, I am for 30% carbs, 25-30% fat, 40-45% protein. This is just an approximation based on my personal preference.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    kazane1 wrote: »

5ft5, 136lbs
  • kazane1
    Options

5ft5, 136lbs

That’s good then your the same height as me so I can use your %’s for a comparison :)
  • kazane1
    Options
    goatg wrote: »
    A lot of it depends on individual training and goals.

I’m training for cardio-based endurance events so I eat a lot of carbs (I’m fueling during 2+ hour workouts and recovering with carby shakes).
    So I’m 55% carb, 15-17% fat, 27-30% protein. This is to retain as much muscle as possible while losing weight.
    On my rest days, when I don’t train, I am for 30% carbs, 25-30% fat, 40-45% protein. This is just an approximation based on my personal preference.

How come you change your %’s on rest days?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    5'8, 156# & 10% BF (as measured by hydro) and am currently in maintenance/recomp at 1650 cals a day but actually eating about 2200 cals minus 550 cals burned rowing daily.

My macro goal during my weight loss and early maintenance phase was 40%P/40%C/20%F. However, my actual intake over that period was closer to 36%P/38%C/26%F. So, I adjusted my macro goal which currently is 35%P/35%C/30%F.

The most important macro to me is protein which has always been between 0.8-1.2g/# BW throughout my weight loss, maintenance and recomp journey.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    What works for one person, could be useless to another, even if they had the same stats.

Plus as long as you are getting adequate protein and fat, the actual percentage breakdown matters very little compared to the other factors.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options

When I'm working out for two hours I generally need sugar. I tend to eat lightly before cardio (100-150 calories of high glycemic, quickly digestible, foods). This means I have no "gas in the tank" to ride on. So if I'm biking for 2 hours, running for 3 hours, or bike/running for 5 hours, I need to fuel during this. A higher proportion of my calories will be spent "fueling" (which is totally fine since the sugar is used immediately). If I'm not using carbs for energy to sustain my workouts, I stick to complex carbs (green veggies, starchy squash, beans, etc.) and lean proteins and some omega rich proteins.
    Carbs simply serve no purpose for me on rest days, beyond a moderate of complex carbs for health and energy. The fat is good for my body and helps it function. A high portion of protein helps keep me full and helps my muscles regenerate.

Why do you think your carb intake is so high? What's your goal?
  • kazane1
    Options
    goatg wrote: »

When I'm working out for two hours I generally need sugar. I tend to eat lightly before cardio (100-150 calories of high glycemic, quickly digestible, foods). This means I have no "gas in the tank" to ride on. So if I'm biking for 2 hours, running for 3 hours, or bike/running for 5 hours, I need to fuel during this. A higher proportion of my calories will be spent "fueling" (which is totally fine since the sugar is used immediately). If I'm not using carbs for energy to sustain my workouts, I stick to complex carbs (green veggies, starchy squash, beans, etc.) and lean proteins and some omega rich proteins.
    Carbs simply serve no purpose for me on rest days, beyond a moderate of complex carbs for health and energy. The fat is good for my body and helps it function. A high portion of protein helps keep me full and helps my muscles regenerate.

Why do you think your carb intake is so high? What's your goal?
    That’s really interesting to read, and I’m not sure why my carbs are so high I guess I just worked out that I could do with having 140g of protein for muscle maintenance and then I’m on 58g of fat because I want to try and keep my body fat % down and try to stay as lean as possible while bulking and then I just made the rest of my calories up with carbs and that’s what was left.

My main goal I’m aiming for is to bulk.. to gain muscle and to gain strength.
  • kazane1
    Options
    @goatg do you think that’s a good split of macros for the goals I want to achieve? Or do you think it could better?
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    @goatg do you think that’s a good split of macros for the goals I want to achieve? Or do you think it could better?

It's personal preference. I prefer a little more fat, but that's just me. For you, protein is going to be most important that that looks fine. As with everything else, you're overthinking this. You need to stop majoring in the minors.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Kazane,

Why do you still weigh the same? You've been at this for months and you haven't gained a pound.

WTF are you doing?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    What works for one person, could be useless to another, even if they had the same stats.

Plus as long as you are getting adequate protein and fat, the actual percentage breakdown matters very little compared to the other factors.

This, don't go crazy of macro breakdowns, go for minimums and then the rest is just calories for energy etc. Don't forget your micros as well.
  • kazane1
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Kazane,

Why do you still weigh the same? You've been at this for months and you haven't gained a pound.

WTF are you doing?

Haha yeah I know maybe I just have a really fast metabolism I’m not sure.. I have been eating 3,089 calories for quite some time now and my maintenance is 2,600 but I just don’t seem to be putting on weight and I haven’t since October last year.. I have put on roughly 1kg since then but have upped my calories big time since then.
    So I don’t know what’s going on lol

• kazane1
    Options

It's personal preference. I prefer a little more fat, but that's just me. For you, protein is going to be most important that that looks fine. As with everything else, you're overthinking this. You need to stop majoring in the minors.

Okay thanks for the advice
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Kazane,

WTF are you doing?

Haha yeah I know maybe I just have a really fast metabolism I’m not sure.. I have been eating 3,089 calories for quite some time now and my maintenance is 2,600 but I just don’t seem to be putting on weight and I haven’t since October last year.. I have put on roughly 1kg since then but have upped my calories big time since then.

2600 isn't maintenance...
  • kazane1
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Kazane,

WTF are you doing?

Originally it was for me.. I weigh 58kg and I’m only 5ft 5
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Kazane,

WTF are you doing?

Originally it was for me.. I weigh 58kg and I’m only 5ft 5

If you're not gaining weight then you aren't in a surplus, so 2600 isn't maintenance.

Or you're not logging accurately
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Kazane,

WTF are you doing?

From Arnold Schwarzenegger's "How To gain Muscular Weight and Massiveness", 1975:

(Desired bodyweight x 23) + 25% = Calories needed

Eat additional 500-750 calories on workout days.

To increase weight to 140...

140 x 23 = 3220

3220 x 25% = 805

3220 + 805 = 4025 calories needed on non-workout days

4525 to 4775 calories needed on workout days.

*Since you are only eating just over 3000 calories you will not gain weight.