Lower body

Options
I'm really unhappy with my lower body. My top has always been really skinny. My bum isn't the best shape. Also, my legs have always been bigger. Not fat, but with muscle. I want to make my calves smaller. Can anyone give me any tips on any exercises that would give me a rounder bum?

Replies

• cc102296
    cc102296 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    front squats, hip thrusts with a barbell, burpees with hip thrust, single leg glute bridges
  • Rose18l
    Rose18l Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    The strong curve lifting program focusess on the booty.
  • cc102296
    edited March 2018
    Options
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you cannot spot reduce, so targeting muscles with the hope fat loss comes from there first won't happen that way. However working the muscles as you lose weight can help maintain what muscle you have.

Calves can be larger due to fat and muscle and unfortunately a lot of it is genetic, mine are on the larger side even when I am very lean so I've learned to rock them.

Depending on your stats you may want to eat in a deficit or maintenance.. either way I would start lifting, follow a program for best results.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    cc102296 wrote: »
    front squats, hip thrusts with a barbell, burpees with hip thrust, single leg glute bridges

Front squats are extremely quad dominant.

I agree, Strong Curves by Bret Contrares.
  • cc102296
    Options
    quad dominant doesnt mean they leave out the glute. i front squat 6-8x5 twice a week and have a huge butt, and im a guy ! lol
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Low bar squats
    Lunges
    Glute bridges

Those are my favourites.

Unfortunately you will be hard pressed to decrease calf seeing as you use them everyday everytime you take a step.

Muscular atrophy isn't the easiest thing to induce.

Honestly you should embrace powerful looking legs. Looking like you can squat hella weight doesn't look bad on anyone
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    cc102296 wrote: »
    quad dominant doesnt mean they leave out the glute. i front squat 6-8x5 twice a week and have a huge butt, and im a guy ! lol

Women tend to be more quad dominant as it is. Not sure why you don't have back squats on your list, which is also primarily a quad lift but recruits more butt than front squats.

I also front squat once a week.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Low bar squats
    Lunges
    Glute bridges

Those are my favourites.

Unfortunately you will be hard pressed to decrease calf seeing as you use them everyday everytime you take a step.

Honestly you should embrace powerful looking legs. Looking like you can squat hella weight doesn't look bad on anyone

Solid.

I'd also add sumo DL, bulgarian split squats, hip thrusts, and kick backs to your list.
  • jessef593
    Options
    Low bar squats
    Lunges
    Glute bridges

Those are my favourites.

Solid.

I'd also add sumo DL, bulgarian split squats, hip thrusts, and kick backs to your list.

Yeah I thought about split squats but they can be a hassle to do if you have poor balance.

+1 to sumos. Talk about a booty pump.

And yeah glute bridges are meant to be hip thrusts. That's just the name I learned them by
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    Low bar squats
    Lunges
    Glute bridges

Those are my favourites.

Solid.

Yeah I thought about split squats but they can be a hassle to do if you have poor balance.

And yeah glute bridges are meant to be hip thrusts. That's just the name I learned them by

Ahhhh... according to Bret Contrares, thrusts are with a bench, bridges are without, but that's just semantics. I have terrible balance and since I've had to go heavier have actually forgone Bulgarians for curtsy lunges. Holy crap, they hurt!
  • jessef593
    Options
    Low bar squats
    Lunges
    Glute bridges

Those are my favourites.

Solid.

Ahhhh... according to Bret Contrares, thrusts are with a bench, bridges are without, but that's just semantics. I have terrible balance and since I've had to go heavier have actually forgone Bulgarians for curtsy lunges. Holy crap, they hurt!

I guess I meant thrusts then haha.