Prior/Active US Military people here ?

Options
2»

Replies

• Peaches9999
    Peaches9999 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    What’s old and yet new, has had 4 different names, is smaller than New York city’s entire police force, the line in the sand and the calm in the storm, and seldom recognized by its brothers and sisters?

Coast Guard

Winner! The storm and stand lines gave it away huh?

That and your brother and sisters don’t acknowledge you.

Ouch. Haha. It’s cuts deep. Just kidding! We don’t care!
  • Peaches9999
    Options
    11 year squid. I had a lot of coastie friends.

You’re cool because of your coastie Friends :#
  • ruffalicious
    ruffalicious Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Salvation Army

Dishonorable Discharge

...... something about a missing kettle of quarters.

lmao i cant :D
  • chellycakes
    chellycakes Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    USAF
  • strozman
    strozman Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    USAF
  • paddydiver24
    paddydiver24 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me anybody
  • cc102296
    cc102296 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    id like to thank you all for your service, im actually thinking of going army active duty. i have a year old daughter that i want to ensure she can the benefits she needs to succeed in life. even if that means putting my life on the line. im working a county sheriff job now and im getting no source of fulfillment from it, just arguing with inmates and getting shitted on by the higher ups.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,210 Member
    Options
    cc102296 wrote: »
    id like to thank you all for your service, im actually thinking of going army active duty. i have a year old daughter that i want to ensure she can the benefits she needs to succeed in life. even if that means putting my life on the line. im working a county sheriff job now and im getting no source of fulfillment from it, just arguing with inmates and getting shitted on by the higher ups.

Welcome to public service brother!
  • paddydiver24
    Options

Ditto...check the guard/reserves. Same benefits and training...get to keep your current job...stay home and be with them. There are opportunities for full time through them.
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options

Actually, this is kind of how it is even in the private sector. But, the public sector is more bureaucratic.

There's benefits to going either active duty, or reserve/national guard. Talk to recruiters about both, and find out what will work best for you @cc102296 .

For myself, I did a short enlistment in the Marines as I was discharged on a medical hardship. Joined the local fire department 25 years later, as I wanted to do more. Between a FT job and the FD, I'm never bored. :laugh:
  • cc102296
    Options

Ditto...check the guard/reserves. Same benefits and training...get to keep your current job...stay home and be with them. There are opportunities for full time through them.

Actually, this is kind of how it is even in the private sector. But, the public sector is more bureaucratic.

There's benefits to going either active duty, or reserve/national guard. Talk to recruiters about both, and find out what will work best for you @cc102296 .

For myself, I did a short enlistment in the Marines as I was discharged on a medical hardship. Joined the local fire department 25 years later, as I wanted to do more. Between a FT job and the FD, I'm never bored. :laugh:

idk how to mention you all without quoting but thanks for the suggestions! i was thinking more of active so my daughter and her mom (we're married but not together, complicated i know) can experience different places of the country and/or world. plus, this county job wants me to wait at least 8 years before getting certified as a mcoles police officer (michigan) i could always go to an academy but i work 16 hour shifts 5 out of the 6 day rotations im on so thats not an option lol.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options

Yes sir. Army and now LEO for 14 1/2 years
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options

idk how to mention you all without quoting but thanks for the suggestions! i was thinking more of active so my daughter and her mom (we're married but not together, complicated i know) can experience different places of the country and/or world. plus, this county job wants me to wait at least 8 years before getting certified as a mcoles police officer (michigan) i could always go to an academy but i work 16 hour shifts 5 out of the 6 day rotations im on so thats not an option lol.

Are there no agencies in your area that run their own academy? They will hire you and pay you while you train.
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options

Yes sir. Army and now LEO for 14 1/2 years

Knew of the LEO work, and figured you were prior military but wasn't certain.
    Are there no agencies in your area that run their own academy? They will hire you and pay you while you train.

This is what I was thinking as well. But, figured you or someone else would be better to discuss this.
  • Peaches9999
    Options
    Research all the branches. Know what age limits/cutoffs each have to serve AD, the minimum ASVAB scores and have a family plan in place. Boot camp is the easy part. It’s managing Home and work life and knowing that sometimes the needs of the service come first (mentally) but not always. There will be superiors that you can’t stand just as in the civilian world. Be ready to pick up and leave at a moments notice. It’s hard on families but it could be worth it if you work hard and work through it. You’ll have a whole new family if ya do join. Lifelong friendships all over the world. Just my two cents.
  • paddydiver24
    Options
    Research all the branches. Know what age limits/cutoffs each have to serve AD, the minimum ASVAB scores and have a family plan in place. Boot camp is the easy part. It’s managing Home and work life and knowing that sometimes the needs of the service come first (mentally) but not always. There will be superiors that you can’t stand just as in the civilian world. Be ready to pick up and leave at a moments notice. It’s hard on families but it could be worth it if you work hard and work through it. You’ll have a whole new family if ya do join. Lifelong friendships all over the world. Just my two cents.

Ditto on what peaches wrote. All branches whether active or reserve or guard and their strengths and weaknesses. Do your due diligence and good luck there.
  • Jonesuna64
    Jonesuna64 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    USAF Retired
  • cc102296
    Options
    im trying to get the 68F active dity army job. my wife and kid will be able to come with me to ait. i learned early on LE is not for me, so my career goal is personal trainer or physical therepist
  • cc102296
    Options
    therapist *