Looking for beginners workout ideas.

Options
I am looking for some just 'starting out' exercises that I can do in a half hour before work in the morning. I have a limited space and other people will be sleeping so I have to be quiet about it. I haven't really worked out in quite a long time but it's no longer an option, I have to lose weight or I will never be able to do all the things I aspire to.

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,942 Member
    Options
    You could always start by going for a walk.

And if you want to lose weight, eat fewer calories than you burn. :)
  • evamay120
    evamay120 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Walking isn't an option that early in the morning. I am already tracking my caloric intake and getting a feel for how to track my macros. I walk at work and when the weather warms up in my area I will definitely be making use of the trails and paths.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels has some beginner workouts that are about 30 minutes. They sell them at Wal-Mart in the sporting good section. I have also heard she has some at Dollar tree
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blender is a good option for free workouts including beginner and low impact videos. You might also want to check out Leslie Sansone's walk at home program - I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard many people around here recommend it. Good luck!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred is popular. I have also always been partial to The Firm videos. They have been around forever and were my go-to when i first started working out in the 90s, but they still are producing new ones. They combine cardio and strength, using light dumbbells or resistance bands. You can get them at Wal-Mart, Target and Costco.
  • vermilionflower
    vermilionflower Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Jessica Smith has DVDs and free workouts on YouTube, jessicasmithtv. She has a small workout area.
  • NicoleHaki
    NicoleHaki Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Class Fitsugar would be perfect for you. They have plenty of 30-minute videos and they are free and enjoyable. I never get bored of them.
  • mamashakesit
    mamashakesit Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had pretty much zero experience working out, and I started with the 30 Day Shred. I think it's an excellent beginner workout. I am just branching out from Jillian, and I really like Jessica Smith's free videos on YouTube as well. I think as beginner, it's important to find workouts and trainers who are encouraging and show modifications so you don't get discouraged. I could hardly do pushups on my knees when I started, and Jillian gave some rather flippant advice that really stuck with me: "You start where you start." I think of that phrase every time I try something new that is difficult for me.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    evamay120 wrote: »
    Walking isn't an option that early in the morning. I am already tracking my caloric intake and getting a feel for how to track my macros. I walk at work and when the weather warms up in my area I will definitely be making use of the trails and paths.

How about an indoor walking style workout? These are low impact and won't wake up sleeping people.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njeZ29umqVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBAjNQODSVo

30 Day Shred is high impact.....sure to wake up the whole house. Look for Beginner Shred. This is a low impact circuit workout from Exercise TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm0C8awjNIQ