Spirulina?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I was searching things that can help with crazy PMS cravings last night, and stumbled about that... I figured at $10 a bottle, I'd give it a shot. I'm pretty desperate at this point and tired of gaining a lb a month because I'm so ridiculously hungry 7 days a month.

Has anyone tried it? I googled it and it seems pretty solid, yet I've never seen it mentioned after 5 years on MFP, so I'm pretty curious.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Not heard of it but its probably worth a try?
  • Francl27
    Options
    Not heard of it but its probably worth a try?
    have you had the blood tests btw? I've heard the patches are great but I think to go on them the blood tests have to prove you are in menopause/perimenopause.

None of my doctors take me seriously, so no. I admit that at $25 a visit, I've kinda given up too. They just all say it's normal...

I don't even think it's perimenopause honestly, considering that my cycle is actually shorter now (3 weeks. Just kill me) and not longer.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Sorry I went back and edited my reply! I don't know why I thought it was peri menopause etc..duh!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    and yeah I'm finding my cycle is shorter too, I reckon it means that peri-menopause isn't far away :/
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Someone else on here had a thread about this. You should search it and see what info that thread produced.

I tried it and it was worthless. Nothing helped until i had the proper blood tests done and got on a prescription medication to treat it.
    The only other time I had relief for it is when I was on birth control. The depo shot reduced my symptoms to zero. So I stayed on the shot until I was in my late 30s.

The choice is yours though.

If the doctor is telling you that this is normal, you can find a new doctor and pay the $25 Co pay to get a second opinion
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    FYI, cycles getting shorter can be a sign of perimenopause. My peri (was tested and proven to be peri at 30 because we were trying for a baby) had period lengths all over the place.

Peri can also last an incredibly long time. As I said, my hormones according to fertility docs said I was peri at 30. I had two children and continued having periods for another 20 years. Now I might be an outlier, but it's not necessarily a quick transition.
  • Francl27
    Options
    FYI, cycles getting shorter can be a sign of perimenopause. My peri (was tested and proven to be peri at 30 because we were trying for a baby) had period lengths all over the place.

Peri can also last an incredibly long time. As I said, my hormones according to fertility docs said I was peri at 30. I had two children and continued having periods for another 20 years. Now I might be an outlier, but it's not necessarily a quick transition.

I'd like to get it tested, honestly, but we had so many healthcare bills last year, I don't want to spend another $500 to figure it out (can they even do anything if it's actually peri anyway?). Same reason I've been delaying everything healthcare related lately (I still can't find the time to go do a fasting bloodwork!). And I've already been bummed when I tried the pill and it made things worse, so I'm not really hopeful at this point...

Anyway, this is day 4 of Spirulina, and my period is due in a week. I started having crazy cravings last week, the first 2 days of taking it were no different, but yesterday was much better, and today seems better as well (even eating probably 400 calories worth of French silk pie filling for breakfast, which would usually have resulted in me craving carbs like crazy). Of course I've been fighting a sore throat since yesterday too, so it might have been something to do with it, who knows (did I mention that spirulina is supposed to help your immune system too? LOL).

I'll keep reporting...
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I used to take Spirulina just for energy not PMS but it might help. Also wondering if you are craving chocolate? Often that is helped by taking magnesium. I also use Evening Primrose oil for Chronic Fatigue which helped my PMS when I used to have it. I'm old now so it isn't an issue anymore, lol.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am fully menopausal and I find some relief from Black Cohosh but it might be psychosomatic.

Spirulina fascinates me as it is a vegetable protein source. Back in the seventies it was thought to be a possible cure for World Hunger but it turned out to be too expensive to produce.
  • Francl27
    Options
    I used to take Spirulina just for energy not PMS but it might help. Also wondering if you are craving chocolate? Often that is helped by taking magnesium. I also use Evening Primrose oil for Chronic Fatigue which helped my PMS when I used to have it. I'm old now so it isn't an issue anymore, lol.

I very rarely crave chocolate but I often get very tired (I have anemia too).