Sleep - How Much Do You Need and How Much Do You Get?

Options
I'm not asking the general or clinical answer. Because we're all different, I want to hear about you personally.

For me, 6-7 hrs is optimal. I get 5 hours (from 11PM-4AM or 12AM-5AM) and usually a nap during my commute to or from work or both.

Replies

• deetails26
    deetails26 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am happiest with 8, but usually get closer to 6-7
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I need 8. I go to bed early to make sure I get that much. I don’t like feeling tired all day from lack of sleep.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I need at least 8 which I am now getting because of Zopliclone. Without it I get around 3 and that combined with being chronically ill made me a walking zombie lol
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    6-7 hours does me good,too much and I'm groggy all day! Unfortunately lately my 6-7 have been choppy :|
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    If I get 7 I'm ok, I sometimes get 8 and then I feel terrific, last night I got my 8 hrs and today I'm on fire :smiley:
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I love 6-7, most of the time I get less though. I am a bad sleeper. Lots of wake ups and tossing and turning.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I need 7-8 on a regular basis. In bed by 9 and up around 5.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    8 is my sweet spot for sure.
  • Froggyh
    Froggyh Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I need about 9 hours (I know, I'm weird :lol: ), but often I get closer to 7-8 on weeknights.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    If you need an alarm to wake up on time you are not getting enough.
  • ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Froggyh wrote: »
    I need about 9 hours (I know, I'm weird :lol: ), but often I get closer to 7-8 on weeknights.

That's not weird. I need about 9 too!! But I get 7-8.
  • JodiRoss71
    JodiRoss71 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I guess i get about 7 but no matter what i get seems like its never enough.... :(
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that I do well with between 7-8. I can function on 5-8. Anything less sucks. I work some nights on call at a hospital so nights like last night I only got four hours. :( I am a zombie
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I'd love to get 7-8 but am currently operating on 4-5 a night. I think I may sleep all weekend.
  • Build4Longevity
    Build4Longevity Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The National Sleep Foundation recommends 7-9hrs for adults, but I generally get 5-6 hrs during the week depending on when I go to bed and 7-9hrs on the weekends.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I need 8, but I get 5 or 6 most nights.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    I want 8, but get 5-6 on average and less than 5 sometimes.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I find that 8-8.5 hours is pretty optimal and that's what I aim for. I am retired, and so I don't have an early schedule. For a while, I had morphed my day into going to bed around 2 AM and sleeping until 10 or 10:30. Same eight hours, right? But with that schedule I was sedentary more hours during the day (I don't usually do much in the evening). So I am now getting to bed by midnight and up a bit after 8, which adds a couple of active hours and I feel a lot better.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I usually get 7 straight, but I wonder when they recommend 7 to 9 hours of sleep, do they mean consecutively or it can be split throughout the day?