Any other Pacers around? Accuracy of cal counting + MFP linking

Options
SabAteNine
SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
I was just wondering whether there's anyone around logging steps with Pacer. Starting Jan 2018, I went back on track with MFP and started to log with Pacer - I find their monthly step challenges really motivating and it's helped me with the moments I feel I'd rather take a cab instead (I'm commute walking).

What I noticed though is that the cal count for steps is roughly the same when walking and running. And I am not quite sure whether the cal count for walking is accurate or inflated. For example, I have an average of 1,200 steps per day for last week, with an average of 370 cals/day consumed. To me it seems too much.

The reason I'm asking is because I've linked the step count with MFP. I was at 1350 cals/day, not tracking exercise. Now I lowered that to 1200 + exercise tracking but I feel I may overeat keeping with the programme if it's not accurate.

Would love some input!

Thanks,
Sabina

Replies

• SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Hopefully bumping is permitted around here. If not, sorry!

Errata for the post above: an average of 12,000 steps per day, not 1,200. Whoops.

I also have another tracker in parallel, the Huawei built-in one, and it usually shows about 1,000-1,500 steps in minus and about 65-70% of the cals which Pacer lists. Example:
    • Pacer now: 8132 steps and 229 cals
    • Huawei Health now: 7154 steps and 152 cals

Should I trust the Huawei Health in this case better (plan for the worst)?
  • umbaba
    umbaba Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don’t have an answer but I share your confusion with Pacer and MFP.
  • tennvol
    tennvol Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I can answer one of your questions. For the same distance, running and walking burn the same number of calories.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    tennvol wrote: »
    I can answer one of your questions. For the same distance, running and walking burn the same number of calories.

Absolutely and utterly incorrect.

walking is about half.

https://www.runnersworld.com/peak-performance/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn

See the article for details.
  • mrsbrown7811
    mrsbrown7811 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    SabAteNine wrote: »
    Hopefully bumping is permitted around here. If not, sorry!

Errata for the post above: an average of 12,000 steps per day, not 1,200. Whoops.

I also have another tracker in parallel, the Huawei built-in one, and it usually shows about 1,000-1,500 steps in minus and about 65-70% of the cals which Pacer lists. Example:
    • Pacer now: 8132 steps and 229 cals
    • Huawei Health now: 7154 steps and 152 cals

Should I trust the Huawei Health in this case better (plan for the worst)?

My Huawei app can be open in my hand as I am walking and I notice it doesn't count the first 10 steps each time.