Living in Texas?

Options
I just joined MFP, a senior in my 60's, diabetic and living in the Houston area. Talk about the variety of restaurants serving the best cuisine and it doesn't stop there. This city is diversed full of richness and cultures that fill the city with excitement. Currently it is Rodeo Houston. People pumped up to be part of the energy it brings, with entertainment, shopping, livestock, amusement rides, cook-offs and the best barbecue you can eat. Even the weather has been great with temps in the 70's.

I was introduced to MFP by my son as great way to track daily food intake and exercise. However, my most exciting discovery after a week was my daughter who also uses MFP told me how to use the scanner tool. Wow! is it a time saver.

My goal for this month is to definately track every morsel that goes in my mouth. Talk about an eye opener. The calories, carbs, fat, sodium, protein intake has really made me take a hard look of changes I have to make. Yes, over the years I have tried every mentionable diet under this planet. Some worked great and I did lose the weight. But it didn't take long to fall back to over eating, fast foods and just giving up.

What has changed you ask? Well, time is getting away from me and I have to plan for what I want for the future. I want to be able to someday retire and be able to enjoy it. I do not want to settle for aches and pains due to bad health, bad choices and unhealthy eating. I want to enjoy time with my family, friends, to travel and to enjoy time at home. I need to rejuvenate myself into a better, healthier life style.

Now that we have access to a database full of recipes you can retrieve on Pinterest, You Tube, Facebook and the internet, searching for healthy recipes are easier to find, prepare and share. Finding recipes with less carbs, sugar and healthier recipes has become so much easier and meals I've tried have been quite delicious. This week I did not have any fast food, my meals were filled with more veggies, fruits and less meats. My blood sugar shows the rewards and I am on the right track. Challenge next week is vacation with the grandkids. I can do it...I will do it...I will.

I invite you to share some of your favorite recipes as I will with you. Discovery of the week was Zuchini Boats recipes on Pinterest, filled with deliciousness. Next I will try cauliflower taco shells.

Replies

• ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I live in Houston, also. The food portions here are outta control lol. Welcome and good luck!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,181 Member
    Options
    Houston is the most diverse city in the country. I lived there 1989-1990 near Westheimer and the west loop, and it was great!
  • suzilla53
    suzilla53 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I’m laughing because when my Daughter moved to Houston, she noticed everyone was larger .I was about 60 pounds overweight then.She said mom believe me you would be average size here.When I went to visit, I found it was true.I fit right in! I did find I loved Houston and Texas in general,I went walking everyday,it was easier to get in exercise than in the cold Northeast.Oblake, work those great Texas produce markets. Raw Jicama is very good, low calorie, lots of fiber.When I visit Texas I always loose weight due to just getting out and walking more, eating better.!
  • whoadoc
    whoadoc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I live on the NW rural side of Houston and have the opposite problem. You can't walk anywhere except around your neighborhood or the local school track. Lots of excellent restaurants in Cypress/Houston, mostly Mexican food and my weakness Thai food.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Yes! You can feel my pain! I live in Montrose, with walking/biking distance to 100's of Houston's best restaurants. I live 1/2 mile from The Chocolate Bar for goodness sake!

My son also introduced me to MFP and it's been an invaluable tool for helping me lose a bit of weight and get back in shape. Not only the logging tool, but by being accountable to my MFP friends.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    What I have found to work for me (retired 12/31/17) is to do all of my own cooking and food preparation, and to stay away from restaurants as much as possible. If I do go to restaurants, I try to pre-choose the food I am going to consume from on line menu, and stick with my choice. Make better choices at community celebrations and activities. It isn't always easy, but worth the effort long term. It involves retraining yourself and learning better self control. Sigh, not always fun :/
    It has been my experience, that there are always great restaurants where ever you go.