New to MFP, 60+Let's Chat

Options
I just joined MFP, a senior in my 60's, diabetic and living in the Houston area. Talk about the variety of restaurants serving the best cuisine and it doesn't stop there. This city is diversed full of richness and cultures that fill the city with excitement. Currently it is Rodeo Houston. People pumped up to be part of the energy it brings, with entertainment, shopping, livestock, amusement rides, cook-offs and the best barbecue you can eat. Even the weather has been great with temps in the 70's.

I was introduced to MFP by my son as great way to track daily food intake and exercise. However, my most exciting discovery after a week was my daughter who also uses MFP told me how to use the scanner tool. Wow! is it a time saver.

My goal for this month is to definately track every morsel that goes in my mouth. Talk about an eye opener. The calories, carbs, fat, sodium, protein intake has really made me take a hard look of changes I have to make. Yes, over the years I have tried every mentionable diet under this planet. Some worked great and I did lose the weight. But it didn't take long to fall back to over eating, fast foods and just giving up.

What has changed you ask? Well, time is getting away from me and I have to plan for what I want for the future. I want to be able to someday retire and be able to enjoy it. I do not want to settle for aches and pains due to bad health, bad choices and unhealthy eating. I want to enjoy time with my family, friends, to travel and to enjoy time at home. I need to rejuvenate myself into a better, healthier life style.

Now that we have access to a database full of recipes you can retrieve on Pinterest, You Tube, Facebook and the internet, searching for healthy recipes are easier to find, prepare and share. Finding recipes with less carbs, sugar and healthier recipes has become so much easier and meals I've tried have been quite delicious. This week I did not have any fast food, my meals were filled with more veggies, fruits and less meats. My blood sugar shows the rewards and I am on the right track. Challenge next week is vacation with the grandkids. I can do it...I will do it...I will.

I invite you to share some of your favorite recipes as I will with you. Discovery of the week was Zuchini Boats recipes on Pinterest, filled with deliciousness. Next I will try cauliflower taco shells.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    Options
    I’m a foodie and brew my own beer! Welcome to MFP!