Sabotage: I get how it feels

Options
zyxst
zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
If I was ever a smartbutt to anyone about "my friends/family/coworkers are sabotaging me!", I apologise because I get it now.

I'm hard struggling to NOT overeat every day and NOT eat to make myself feel better, and people keep bringing me food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5rRZdiu1UE

Replies

• ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    What happened to you?

My most recent one was my mom brought two dozen cookies to my house even though I specifically told her not to bring anything, "especially sweets." I think she considered it a victory because she did not also pick up a dozen donuts.
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    We deal with that too. Rather than completely denying ourselves, we’d eat one cookie and give the rest away. Our neighbors love us!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I totally get it too. Obviously it's down to your own willpower, but I wouldn't have eaten the whole bag of chocolates that my mom brought me if she had actually listened to me and not bought me anything. At least my husband got the smart idea of opening the box of cookies when we had guests, so I didn't get to eat that whole box too...

Oh and it was MUCH easier to stick to it when I didn't have a social life and friends who love chips and cookies!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your situation is serious. Depression is no joke. Can you get a referral to a therapist or someone you can talk to?

Can you adopt the neighbors cat as a therapy animal? Or get one of your own? Having some sort of companion helps.

Is there anything else you can find to help calm your brain and find some peace? Sorry, I'm full of questions and no solutions but I feel for you and hope you can find some help soon.
  • BethClicks
    BethClicks Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My husband equates food treats with love, so that's always the first thing he goes for as a gift/pick-me-up for me and I have to keep telling him that I don't need or want food treats. It makes him feel bad, but I'm not a dog so don't reward me with treats. I don't think he's trying to sabotage me, he just doesn't understand.
    The struggle is real, I feel you! As tired and trite as I always thought it sounded, at least an hour of exercise a day had really worked to give me that 'feel good' release. I know, I know, I never believed it either!
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    your situation does sound extremely serious. I would agree that you need to see someone more effective than your GP for depression, because "stop that" to a coping mechanism does nothing for the root causes. Having food be the only thing that brings a sense of soothing or temporary happiness is a tough thing too.

If you have continuing suicidal thoughts I hope you will google national suicide helpline for whatever country you are in and get some immediate help?
  • AllSpiceNice
    AllSpiceNice Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I understand Zyxst - I have also struggled for years with emotional self soothing eating. It’s hard and so much harder when others push food on us. This will always be something I have to work at.

You’ve done a great job with your weight loss, and I have always enjoyed your comments on these forums. You have a nice blend of “tell it like it is” and a good sense of humor.

Also, I agree with the posts above - please continue to seek out help for your depression. You are worth it! <3
  • zyxst
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Sounds like your situation is serious. Depression is no joke. Can you get a referral to a therapist or someone you can talk to?

Can you adopt the neighbors cat as a therapy animal? Or get one of your own? Having some sort of companion helps.

Is there anything else you can find to help calm your brain and find some peace? Sorry, I'm full of questions and no solutions but I feel for you and hope you can find some help soon.

Did. Not heard back.

No pets allowed.

I'm working on depression sleep.
  • zyxst
    Options
    BethClicks wrote: »
    My husband equates food treats with love, so that's always the first thing he goes for as a gift/pick-me-up for me and I have to keep telling him that I don't need or want food treats. It makes him feel bad, but I'm not a dog so don't reward me with treats. I don't think he's trying to sabotage me, he just doesn't understand.
    The struggle is real, I feel you! As tired and trite as I always thought it sounded, at least an hour of exercise a day had really worked to give me that 'feel good' release. I know, I know, I never believed it either!

Exercise doesn't give me happiness. It makes me tired and bored.
  • zyxst
    Options
    I understand Zyxst - I have also struggled for years with emotional self soothing eating. It’s hard and so much harder when others push food on us. This will always be something I have to work at.

You’ve done a great job with your weight loss, and I have always enjoyed your comments on these forums. You have a nice blend of “tell it like it is” and a good sense of humor.

Also, I agree with the posts above - please continue to seek out help for your depression. You are worth it! <3

I would like anti depressants, but I can't get any.
  • zyxst
    Options
    FTR, I'm not self-diagnosing my depression. I was officially diagnosed 24 years ago by a psychiatrist. I have to have another diagnosis done and am waiting to hear back. I'm calling the hospital on Monday since it's been 2 weeks. Apparently suicide attempts are not a serious issue in Canada. I guess we fall behind moose bites and poutine burns for medical treatment.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @zyxst, I wish there was something I could do or say or suggest that would help you, but I know there isn't.
    Know that I do think about you and care about you.

Are there any support groups, even by phone, in your area that you could be part of?

If you have to get yourself to emergency, don't wait until Monday.

Hugs, h.
  • AllSpiceNice
    AllSpiceNice Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I just sent you a friend request and message - please reach out and let me know how I can help! Or just reach out and we can talk about unsupportive *kitten* husbands- I have ( had) one of those too...
    zyxst wrote: »

I would like anti depressants, but I can't get any.