Feeling guilty over the little things

Options
Hey, is anyone else like really hard on themselves when they have a treat and slightly go over their calories I’m terrified it’ll show on the scales

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Today I have a gain and yesterday was a few hundred kcal below my calorie target. It happens, don't worry about it. Keep trying and be of good cheer.
  • nataliemayjones95
    nataliemayjones95 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Today I have a gain and yesterday was a few hundred kcal below my calorie target. It happens, don't worry about it. Keep trying and be of good cheer.

Thanks! I know I just get so worried I’ll ruin all this good effort and slip back into old habits. As long as I stayed focussed I should be fine and I guess we’re all human and a treat isn’t so bad as long as it’s not often haha
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    Going "slightly" over your calorie goal is no big deal as long as it isn't done often.

Try to remove emotion from food. It is unnecessary stress. Food is fuel, nutrition, and enjoyment. No guilt needed.
  • Brookezuni
    Brookezuni Posts: 4 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Hello, I'm in the same boat. I started working out about 6 weeks ago, and restarted with myfitnesspal 11 days ago. I've been good about getting my butt to the gym and very good about my eating during the week, but on weekends I'm really social. For example, tonight my husband wants to go to dinner and then have drinks for a friend's birthday. I am in full panic mode, because I only have 600 left for the day. I've been good about logging, and have come in well under my calorie goal twice this week. I need to find the balance where I can be disciplined but also allow myself the guilt-free freedom to enjoy myself in social situations. I don't want to walk on the treadmill for 90 minutes or work myself until I feel sick on an Elliptical to have dinner and a few beers on an enjoyable night out! On the other hand, I DO have a specific goal: I'm shooting for to lose 25-30 by Memorial Day, and I'm almost 1/3 of the way there. Sooooo...what's a person to do? I don't want to get obsessive, but I also don't want to fall off track.
  • justkris_gettingfit
    justkris_gettingfit Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Going "slightly" over your calorie goal is no big deal as long as it isn't done often.

Try to remove emotion from food. It is unnecessary stress. Food is fuel, nutrition, and enjoyment. No guilt needed.

This. While losing weight, try to retrain your thought process with foods. It took me a while to, but when I finally did, this whole weight loss journey became easier. Have what you want, log it, and if you go over, do better tomorrow. One day at a time, making small changes, is what makes the bigger picture, and leads to better lasting results.
  • TynaBaby17
    TynaBaby17 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I’m always feeling the same way. If I have a little candy or treat I almost always feel guilty but I’ve started to really see the big picture in this fitness journey. Moderation is key and stress and completely cutting out some of the things I really love isn’t going to help me loose weight and feel good about it! :smiley: just keep on track and remember the process your going through is a journey not a sentence!! Feel free to add me as a friend! I’m always looking for new fitness buddy’s!
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    The only way I've been able to maintain after meeting my weight loss goal is allowing myself treats. Yesterday I had a brownie. The day before, two chocolate chip cookies. While I was calorie counting, I even had pie. The important part was to stay in a calorie deficit. These treats didn't really sideline my progress, it made it possible! So I'd maybe start the day with scrambled eggs and a piece of fruit, log the calories. If by the end of the day I had enough calories in the bank, I'd have the treat. Feeling deprived doesn't work for me.

Anyway, if your weight goes up a bit one day, don't panic. Drink some water and get back to accurately logging.