Is it OK for me to have a rest day

Options
Hello everyone. I am new to losing weight I lost 30 pounds and I am loving it. However, I feel bad when I have rest days during the weekday because those are the days where I should be active. Wednesday I had a rest day because I went to the doctor office and had to fast for the whole day because I had to get blood work done. Although I fasted, I did not have a cheat meal. I ate a foot long sub and of course consumed water. I exercised Thursday Monday and Tuesday and burned over 4k calories. Today I am feeling so tired that I need to rest. I have to work in a couple of hours. I also work full time as a teacher and my classroom was hectic today because it is the Friday before spring break. I vowed to workout tomorrow and Sunday. I will then take a break and a cheat day on Monday being that I am off of work that day. I also have to do more blood work Monday.

Replies

• training4half87
    training4half87 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes! Listen to your body- if you need to rest then do so. Rest and sleep is a pillar to great health as well. You sound like you are doing awesome and will be just fine if you rest. :)
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Rest days should be built into your program; they're just as important as workout days. You can take them as active rest days if you want -- where you go for a walk or do something else fun -- but you need to build in days where you're not formally working out. Your body recovers and builds on rest days. Not taking them is a great way to set yourself up for an overuse injury, ESPECIALLY if you're new to working out.

FWIW, I lift three days a week, run two days, and take two rest days. Every week. I usually go for walks with my dog on those rest days, but I don't do any dedicated exercise.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    As AliceDark says, you need rest days but they can be active rest days.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    YES