Staying fit outside the gym

Options
Fisah17
Fisah17 Posts: 202 Member
Working out has never been an issue because I enjoy it and it's a serious stress reliever until my injuries showed me my body couldn't handle what it used to. I have always worked out in the gym but my chronic low back issues and recent joint issues (knee pain post surgery using my own body weight or on machines) has made me rethink my whole approach to getting to my happy weight/muscle tone. After working out with a trainer last week to start making plans to get to my next level I have been laid up all week, no workouts since Monday trying to recover and hoping I didn't have another tear in my knee or a new injury. This all to familiar feeling of being fearful about injuries has given me good reason to take a break from the gym and head back home for cardio and strength training. I have an elliptical, mats, kettle bell, dumb bells, exercise ball, bands, wall ball, medicine ball, etc and feel like I can get it done at home...versus being in the gym not meeting my goals or doing what I used to be able to do. I am thinking a mix of power yoga, pilates, elliptical and putting together different strength training routines/circuit training will help me meet my goals, I'm just not sure if I'm being unrealistic. There are so many ways to stay fit and different types of workouts that I refuse to believe I can't do it without gym equipment. Stats: 5'9" CW: 185 , GW: 170? Maybe idk...I am more concerned about muscle tone than what the scale says. The BMI chart doesn't work for me because I have a muscular build and I don't want to get back into the 160s which didn't look good on me, I didn't have enough muscle so I just looked thin. Nothing wrong with it in general, just not a look that I feel good in. I've been as small as 145 lbs, more recently 165 lbs...neither was a good look for me. So can I achieve the toned look I want at home or is the gym it for the look I want to get back to?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    It can work if the weights/bands are heavy and the program is a good one. :+1:
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    NROLFW and NROLFL give you lots of exercise options and formats you do at home. TRX would be great investment because it is infinitely adjustable and hundreds of exercises. You can do things in the gym too. You also can do the same exercises you "used to do" but perhaps with less weight or fewer reps. Sounds like the problem is more with the intensity rather than the specific choice of exercises. I hope you can find the right balance.
  • Fisah17
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    NROLFW and NROLFL give you lots of exercise options and formats you do at home. TRX would be great investment because it is infinitely adjustable and hundreds of exercises. You can do things in the gym too. You also can do the same exercises you "used to do" but perhaps with less weight or fewer reps. Sounds like the problem is more with the intensity rather than the specific choice of exercises. I hope you can find the right balance.

Thanks for the info, I'm researching it now. Will also be going back to the doctor to get MRIs of both knees just to make sure there are no structure issues going on before I dive in again. I'm encouraged though :)
  • Fisah17
    edited March 2018
    Options
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    I haven't had a gym membership and I'm very happy/proud with my transformation that I did by myself from home/outside. I do a variety of strength-based activities that keeps my body toned and tight.

Weights - I have a variety of weights that keeps my body challenged.

Bodyweight work - Such as old school push ups on my toes, planks, tricep dips with one leg extended.

Resistance bands - There are a lot of moves you can do with these.

TRX - Bodyweight work with an added challenge.

Youtube workouts - I follow a number of channels that has great workouts for strength, cardio and flexibility.

Fitness DVD's Such as Cathe Friedrich and Beachbody...Body Beast, Chalean Extreme and Hammer & Chisel.

Kettlebells - I can't do some things indoors like farmer walks which I love, but kettlebell swings are great.

I also do Pilates on my Reformer regularly.

Doing a mix of activities, planning my workouts in advance and doing something moderate everyday is a good fit for me and my goals.

I hope you find the right fitness plan for you.

Thanks so much this is exactly what I was looking for. A success story outside the gym! I put together a plan last night using a lot of what you talked about so I'll be back to working out tomorrow after taking a week off to nurse an injury. Ready to go again, watching my intensity level until I get my knees checked out.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Fisah17 wrote: »
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    I haven't had a gym membership and I'm very happy/proud with my transformation that I did by myself from home/outside. I do a variety of strength-based activities that keeps my body toned and tight.

Weights - I have a variety of weights that keeps my body challenged.

Bodyweight work - Such as old school push ups on my toes, planks, tricep dips with one leg extended.

Resistance bands - There are a lot of moves you can do with these.

TRX - Bodyweight work with an added challenge.

Youtube workouts - I follow a number of channels that has great workouts for strength, cardio and flexibility.

Fitness DVD's Such as Cathe Friedrich and Beachbody...Body Beast, Chalean Extreme and Hammer & Chisel.

Kettlebells - I can't do some things indoors like farmer walks which I love, but kettlebell swings are great.

I also do Pilates on my Reformer regularly.

Doing a mix of activities, planning my workouts in advance and doing something moderate everyday is a good fit for me and my goals.

I hope you find the right fitness plan for you.

Thanks so much this is exactly what I was looking for. A success story outside the gym! I put together a plan last night using a lot of what you talked about so I'll be back to working out tomorrow after taking a week off to nurse an injury. Ready to go again, watching my intensity level until I get my knees checked out.

No problem at all! :) Good luck