What activity level?

Options
Hi. I'm a bit confused with what activity level to choose. I'm generally on the go all day either at work or at home doing chores etc. I'm on my feet and walking around most of the day at work and only sit for a few minutes at a time. I walk the dog twice a day for at least 45 mins each time. I put myself as active and then log runs and gym sessions as exercise using my Garmin to sync with mfp. I have been logging my daily walks also but should I stop this as they are included in being active? Should I instead put my activity level down then carry on logging the walks as exercise?

Replies

• Krismarie247
    Krismarie247 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think it's best to experiment and see which option has you moving toward your goals. There are so many variables that the program can't always take into account. Good luck!
  • SparklySarah80
    SparklySarah80 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying!
    More opinions from others would be really good though :)
    I'm going to put my activity level down to lightly active and not log my normal daily dog walks. This has put my calorie allowance down by 300 calories, but I need more self control anyway so hopefully this will help
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Assuming that your daily work and at-home routine is mostly walking, not lifting and moving heavy things, I would either set myself as lightly active and log the extra walks, or set myself as active and not log the extra walks.

If you use a pedometer or FitBit or other activity monitoring device, and told us how many steps you log total, or without the walks and with the walks, you might get better advice.

But no matter what you choose, Krismarie247 is right. You need to be prepared to make adjustments based on your results. Depending on your weight and other stats, there's likely a couple of hundred calories difference in what the formula will give you at different activity levels, and odds are you're not spot-on any specific setting, but somewhere between two levels.

How long have you been tracking your calories? What have your results been during that time?
  • SparklySarah80
    SparklySarah80 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, thank you so much for your reply.
    I use a Garmin vivo when I do my dog walks and runs to see distance, pace and calories etc. I don't wear it all day which is why I'd like to get my activity setting correct. I've been logging with mfp since beginning of Jan and have lost 9lbs so far, although it's been a bit up and down. I'd like to lose another 10lb to get to my ideal weight, plus I'm training for a 10 mile run later in the year.
    There is a 300 calorie difference between active and lightly active so I don't want to log walks and 'double dip' my exercise therefore over eating