Homemade Lower Fat Ranch Dressing that actually tastes good!

Options
Snickers2424
Snickers2424 Posts: 16 Member
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm picky when it comes to ranch dressing. I always make my own because I've yet to find a good pre-made bottled dressing. I think I've pretty much tried them all. Whenever I make ranch dressing I always use buttermilk in place of regular milk because believe it not, buttermilk is way lower in fat. So why I didn't come up with this idea I don't know, but I found a recipe on Skinnykitchen.com that even I, the ranch dressing snob approves of. The trick is replacing half of the mayonnaise with more buttermilk. Here's the kicker, it's only 3 ingredients and makes a great base for other tasty salad dressings. I add chipotles in adobe sauce, cilantro, garlic, a little splash of white vinegar, and a squeeze of lemon for a really tasty Spicy Chipotle Ranch. Here is the base recipe:

1 3/4 Cup Lowfat Buttermilk
1/2 Cup Best Foods (Hellman's) Light Mayo
2 T Hidden Valley Ranch Original Ranch Dressing Mix (Not the buttermilk kind) *I haven't tried it, but apparently it's not as good she warns

Replies

• Phaewryn
    Phaewryn Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I've figured out the ranch dip, since we're on the subject. I use half no-fat plain greek yogurt and half Daisy brand light sour cream (no other light sour cream is any good). It greatly reduces the calories and fat from using the full sour cream like I used to use. I tried using more yogurt and less sour cream, but you really need half sour cream for it to be "convincing". I eat a ton of the cool new engineered orange cauliflower this way (I love GMO's!).
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,655 Member
    Options
    I use this recipe with the smaller amount of mayo and sour cream.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/19/ranch-dressing-recipe_n_3769342.html