Breakfast slump 3 hours post - advice?

Options
I am generally woken early. My day starts with 3-4 cappuccinos made with skimmed milk(1 pint altogether). I used to have cereal but now have a protein bar Atkins. Today I also had 2 slices seeded bread toast and an apple. Three hours later I felt awful.

I initially switched from cereal (porridge milk and nuts) as I thought it was making me “slump”. I’ve tried going without bagel and reducing caffeinated coffee (not eliminates though).

Any thoughts?

Replies

• wibblewobblejellyontheplate
    Options
    Hmm thanks for answering that’s what I suspected too but having had another coffee it appears to have worsened it ... I didn’t know if I was just having too much food and coffee/ likely but that’s what I like but if I knew for sure what causes the slump ten I would reduce/eliminate.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    So much coffee? Why not spread those 3 to 4 drinks out over the day.

How much sleep are you getting each night? Slump may not be related to the foods you are eating?

• wibblewobblejellyontheplate
    Options
    Hmm thanks yes sleep is an issue probably getting around 6-7 hrs. I’m woken early by little people!

Hmm I thinks it’s a case of discipline with spreading those coffees out . They are lovely first thing.

Thanks for your guidance.
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    That's quite a lot of coffee. You could try switching to decaf for one week and see whether there's any change. It would still be the same amount of cappuccino, and I imagine the milk would mask the switch at least partially.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Eat like a hobbit; have two breakfasts. Have the same amount of food, only cut it in half for each breakfast.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I start my day with a boat load of coffee - at least a quart of drip-brewed coffee, often more. But then I have a breakfast that has at least 30 g of protein in it and about 10-12 carb grams. The carb-y breakfasts alone never "lasted" more than a couple of hours, and I found that sweet stuff during the day leads often to a "slump" in energy.

I can't have caffeine after 2 PM and expect to sleep so the "spreading it out" advice wouldn't work for me. The two-breakfasts are a go-to, though :)
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Have you tried skipping breakfast altogether? I find I have more energy and less appetite if I just wait to eat. I do have decaf coffee with a square of dark chocolate, but other than that I don't eat until 1pm.

It's not for everyone, but just a suggestion you could try.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Hmm thanks for answering that’s what I suspected too but having had another coffee it appears to have worsened it ... I didn’t know if I was just having too much food and coffee/ likely but that’s what I like but if I knew for sure what causes the slump ten I would reduce/eliminate.

Coffee can cause GERD if you drink too much at one time or drink it on an empty stomach. But stopping coffee suddenly can cause withdrawal headaches. Something to take into consideration as you try trouble shooting your eating plan issues.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Have you tried skipping breakfast altogether? I find I have more energy and less appetite if I just wait to eat. I do have decaf coffee with a square of dark chocolate, but other than that I don't eat until 1pm.

It's not for everyone, but just a suggestion you could try.

Everything I've ever read or heard from respected sources says this^^ is a bad idea. In fact, eating a mid-morning snack is more often recommended. I always eat a mid-morning snack of a complex carb and protein. An apple with unsweetned peanut butter, or something like that. That always helps me. I plan for it and log it into MFP.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    How much water are you drinking with that coffee? Try fitting in at least 2 glasses of water somewhere and see if that helps. Your body might just be dehydrated.