Powerlifting and competing

Options
2»

Replies

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Well, I did it! The competition was yesterday and I loved it! Scored PRs in both squats (192lbs) and deadlifts (237lbs) and made my current PR in bench (105lbs).

I ALMOST hit 110, but was so excited about making a new bench PR that I forgot to wait for the press command and got a "no lift". :(

I can definitely say... I am totally hooked and can't wait til the next one!

tenor.gif?itemid=7549364

Haha! I maaaaay have done that after my squat. Ok ok... And after my deadlift too lol
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Well, I did it! The competition was yesterday and I loved it! Scored PRs in both squats (192lbs) and deadlifts (237lbs) and made my current PR in bench (105lbs).

I ALMOST hit 110, but was so excited about making a new bench PR that I forgot to wait for the press command and got a "no lift". :(

Congrats. You did awesome!

Thank you! It was such a fabulous experience!
  • Iron_Muscle_
    Iron_Muscle_ Posts: 5,095 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I'm thinking about training for a powerlifting meet coming up in April.

There are no minimums, and I seriously doubt I will post anything great in terms of numbers. Few questions for other lifters...

- how long should you train for your first meet? Is 6 weeks a decent amount of time, or way too short? (I've been lifting for a few years, off and on. Was doing stronglifts last year but got hurt in baseball AND fell at work, so I'm just finally getting back into it heavier)
    - what did you like best about competing?
    - would you do it again?
    - I know I won't be posting any records, but I am thinking competing will give me that extra nudge to push harder (I usually need a goal to keep me driving), will people think I'm foolish for going in and lifting "too light"

My numbers aren't too hot yet (165lb squat, 235lb dead, 100lb bench), but I think I can make decent gains in all three still. I'm in the 41yr old female, 75-85kg weight category.

Any advice would be appreciated!

I’m a little late to this thread.

You did amazing @KickassAmazon76

Congrats!!!
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    I'm thinking about training for a powerlifting meet coming up in April.

There are no minimums, and I seriously doubt I will post anything great in terms of numbers. Few questions for other lifters...

- how long should you train for your first meet? Is 6 weeks a decent amount of time, or way too short? (I've been lifting for a few years, off and on. Was doing stronglifts last year but got hurt in baseball AND fell at work, so I'm just finally getting back into it heavier)
    - what did you like best about competing?
    - would you do it again?
    - I know I won't be posting any records, but I am thinking competing will give me that extra nudge to push harder (I usually need a goal to keep me driving), will people think I'm foolish for going in and lifting "too light"

My numbers aren't too hot yet (165lb squat, 235lb dead, 100lb bench), but I think I can make decent gains in all three still. I'm in the 41yr old female, 75-85kg weight category.

Any advice would be appreciated!

I’m a little late to this thread.

You did amazing @KickassAmazon76

Congrats!!!

Thank you very much @doubledman71!
  • jibeirish
    jibeirish Posts: 244 Member
    Options

I'm a bit late to this thread but congrats. I will be taking part in my first competition in July, super excited!
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options

Congrats on your first meet ... well done! It's great you did well and enjoyed it as well. I didn't start competing until I was 57 and I only lifted 500 lbs. My 8th meet I lifted 666 lbs. at the age of 59. Time for me to slow down now lol. It's really fun doing the meets and meeting people. Good luck at your next meet!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

So cool! Congrats!!!
  • KickassAmazon76
    edited April 2018
    Options
    jibeirish wrote: »

I'm a bit late to this thread but congrats. I will be taking part in my first competition in July, super excited!

Thank you, @jibeirish ! I'm sure you're going to have a blast!!!
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options

Congrats on your first meet ... well done! It's great you did well and enjoyed it as well. I didn't start competing until I was 57 and I only lifted 500 lbs. My 8th meet I lifted 666 lbs. at the age of 59. Time for me to slow down now lol. It's really fun doing the meets and meeting people. Good luck at your next meet!

You are an inspiration, @PowerliftingMom !! Way to kill it!
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options

So cool! Congrats!!!

Thank you, @quiksylver296 ! :smiley: