Straight from the nutritionists mouth

Options
2»

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,604 Member
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »
    I just want to clarify, for any lurkers, that MFP is designed to eat your exercise calories.

If you aren't tracking food correctly to begin with, then you may eating more than you think and it's not eating back exercise calories that's not working, but rather imprecise tracking of food.

Additionally, some people miscalculate their exercise calories and, thus, end up eating more than they should, just like with [the] imprecise tracking of food.

Whether [you're inadvertently] choosing a higher intensity than [what you] actually exerted [at], or simply that it's an exercise that has an inflated number, again, it's not the method in and of itself, it's the tracking.

That's why many will recommend starting with a percentage of exercise calories and then adjusting after 4-6 weeks based on real [life] results.

Track all your food, log exercise as honestly as you can. Adjust calories after 4-6 weeks. That's all there is to it.

Couldn't have said it any better myself!

Which is why I remain confused as to what valuable insight, if any, the nutritionist/dietitian offered to the OP.

Sounds like a straight tracking issue (I have not been logging a cup of milk or two a day) that could have been easily resolved by logging the **kitten** coffee has now devolved to bad advice (I eat 1500 straight and ignore my exercise calories).
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Not sure how you can manage your runs on only 1500 so as much as I agreed with a lot of what your nutritionist told you, I do not agree with not eating back exercise calories. Fuel the body and it will run better :smile:
    But yes, its amazing how little calories in drinks or condiments that we might not have thought of do add up, so now you know the score you'll soon get off that plateau.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Not sure how you can manage your runs on only 1500 so as much as I agreed with a lot of what your nutritionist told you, I do not agree with not eating back exercise calories. Fuel the body and it will run better :smile:
    But yes, its amazing how little calories in drinks or condiments that we might not have thought of do add up, so now you know the score you'll soon get off that plateau.

I think veganbaum and PAV said it best. There were likely errors on each side of the equation. We (most of us) try to use an exact equation and weigh and measure down to the gram - based entirely on the assumption that we live at the median of the bell curve in terms of our energy expenditure. My NEAT (or TDEE) estimate could very well be 200 calories in either direction and I would probably still be within a standard deviation of the mean (and be considered normal).

That said, if the measurements were all correct AND our OP was at the middle of the curve, then 1500 would seem like not enough fuel to support the body activity.