Who else get weary of it all..............

Options
13»

Replies

• swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    How long have you been in maintenance? I definately remember feeling that way during my first year, in recent years I haven't to think too much about it because I just do what I do, eat what I eat and I maintain effortlessly - at least that's how it now feels. So I think you'll definately not always feel like you do now.

How long have you been in maintenance?

• Biker_SuzCO
    Biker_SuzCO Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yes! Trying to maintain 125 at 5’3’’ seems difficult! I am hungry and just want to EAT! I can’t imagine how I will ever lose the last 5-10 pounds being this hungry. I lost the weight over a year so I should be used to this...
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    .... I want to eat more, almost all the time, and sometimes I do, and sometimes I just tell myself "no, not now"....

This describes me exactly. Plus, I have adult beverages on weekends, and I want more of that, too. Almost all the time. I share kommodevaran's observation that, in general, loving the stuff I do eat makes it easier to feel ok with less quantity than I would like. Quality > quantity. Consuming less, enjoying more. Do I overdo it on occasion? Absolutely. Sometimes planned, sometimes spontaneous. But it all counts, so overdoing must be averaged with doing with less to maintain.

When I get weary, I contemplate the alternatives. One alternative- and it is very real- is gaining weight or maintaining a higher weight. Something like 2/3 of Americans are overweight, so it is the most prevalent alternative, evidently. I guess we all want to eat more than we need, and most of us actually do. Feeling good in my body matters to me, though. It matters enough that the continual effort is decisively worth it. Plus I'm a terrible shopper and very lazy about it and having to replace a lot of my clothes would be a huge pain I don't want. So it comes down to a "pick your hard" decision for me.

It's great you have a canine motivator to get you outside, OP. Enjoy the little guy and give yourself a break now and then.
  • pkweier
    pkweier Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    .... I want to eat more, almost all the time, and sometimes I do, and sometimes I just tell myself "no, not now"....

This describes me exactly. Plus, I have adult beverages on weekends, and I want more of that, too. Almost all the time. I share kommodevaran's observation that, in general, loving the stuff I do eat makes it easier to feel ok with less quantity than I would like. Quality > quantity. Consuming less, enjoying more. Do I overdo it on occasion? Absolutely. Sometimes planned, sometimes spontaneous. But it all counts, so overdoing must be averaged with doing with less to maintain.

When I get weary, I contemplate the alternatives. One alternative- and it is very real- is gaining weight or maintaining a higher weight. Something like 2/3 of Americans are overweight, so it is the most prevalent alternative, evidently. I guess we all want to eat more than we need, and most of us actually do. Feeling good in my body matters to me, though. It matters enough that the continual effort is decisively worth it. Plus I'm a terrible shopper and very lazy about it and having to replace a lot of my clothes would be a huge pain I don't want. So it comes down to a "pick your hard" decision for me.

It's great you have a canine motivator to get you outside, OP. Enjoy the little guy and give yourself a break now and then.

Thanks for your insight. I love all the new clothes I can wear now. I gave all my old clothes away just so I would not have them as a fall back just in case mindset
    Thanks for the reminder choose your hard.
  • kayokk
    kayokk Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I get so weary of it all. :(

But, in the end, all I say to myself is this.. "you need to remember what Steve said, that you'll be dead soon.. and while you are alive ... do, forgive, help, learn, try, fail, love, believe, spoil, engage, motivate and all the other personal intrigues to make living, a worthy endeavor." and BOOM! I'm back. I really am. I am not a quitter, that much I know. No dogma is going to catch-up with me. Never!

Thanks to Steve Jobs for the mental help and clarity. <3 >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1R-jKKp3NA

Amen :smiley:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    swim777 wrote: »
    How long have you been in maintenance? I definately remember feeling that way during my first year, in recent years I haven't to think too much about it because I just do what I do, eat what I eat and I maintain effortlessly - at least that's how it now feels. So I think you'll definately not always feel like you do now.

How long have you been in maintenance?

5 years in June :smiley:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    ME! I eat what I want and I love my booze. BUT I WORK IT OFF, That's a must.
  • rimir74
    rimir74 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Not weary at all. I like the discipline. I like snacks a lot. 1/4 of my calories comes from snacks. In the past month, I had days where I binged on Haagen Dazs for a time. MFP allowed me to track that though I couldn't bear seeing all that indulgence up there.

My "cheat" was to portion out the ice cream over several days (though I might've eaten more of it in one of the days). So I woke up knowing that my snacking for that day would be pretty limited since it was already enjoyed (ahead of time) and pre-logged. Seeing the numbers up there really helps me. I just had 2 squares of chocolate and logged that in. In the past I might've had more without thinking about it and even till I was not really enjoying it even. Thank goodness for MFP...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    ME! I eat what I want and I love my booze. BUT I WORK IT OFF, That's a must.

Haha I could never work out the 1000 calories of dessert that I want to eat daily. Must be nice not to want that much food in the first place.
  • pkweier
    Options
    I'm back to feeling discipline and motivated again in part to all the wonderful people on MFP.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    pkweier wrote: »
    I'm back to feeling discipline and motivated again in part to all the wonderful people on MFP.

I'm trying, lol.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I know just what you are saying @pkweier. I just got back from a girls weekend where I indulged a bit. The funny part though is I'm more motivated now than I was before I went. The little break did me good. I probably ate an extra 600-800 calories for the weekend and it was worth it because I feel refreshed. Like you I finally decided I was in maintenance last fall so it hasn't been that long and at times I really, really want to eat. I also got rid of all my "fat" clothes so I can't afford to gain!
  • pkweier
    Options
    I know just what you are saying @pkweier. I just got back from a girls weekend where I indulged a bit. The funny part though is I'm more motivated now than I was before I went. The little break did me good. I probably ate an extra 600-800 calories for the weekend and it was worth it because I feel refreshed. Like you I finally decided I was in maintenance last fall so it hasn't been that long and at times I really, really want to eat. I also got rid of all my "fat" clothes so I can't afford to gain!

I know I can't afford to pay for new clothes my hubby wouldn't be happy as Everytime I go into a store cause I can now wear normal clothes I buy something.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else get weary of it all and just want to eat how ever much you want? I really struggled with that this week. I just wanted to be a couch potato. I did talk myself out of it and got outside and got my walking in. I did log and kept my eating in check.

I know part of it is the weather I'm tired of the cold and dreary weather and more snow predicted for Monday. This is the first year this type of weather is bothering me.

Do others feel the same?

Pam

Yeah I do sometimes. All my life (the decades when I had no weight problems) I would periodically get off track and gain a few lbs. Then I'd feel my jeans getting too tight and I'd shake it off and get back to normal.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I'm trying, lol.

I find that keeping a positive attitude and looking for ways to make things work rather than complaining about reasons I can't do a thing really helps. :)

I've been in maintenance for several years. I've recently gained a bit of weight until I'm over the upper limit of my maintenance range by a bit (possibly water weight due to TOM, since I was within the range this morning). My suggestions are to have splurge days sometimes, but moderate them with days where you keep your diet and exercise on point. When you hit the top of your range, use the same intestinal fortitude you were using during the weight loss phase and do what worked for you in the past to get back down to an acceptable weight.

OP, as someone who has been in maintenance for quite a while, YES, me too.... and as I mentioned above, sometimes I let things go. But I have a (very generous 10 pound) weight range that I strive to stay in... if I find myself outside of it, I buckle down and get back where I was. While I don't think its true that skinny feels better than chocolate tastes, I DO greatly dislike feeling bloated and unhealthy... so sometimes I forgo the chocolate. :flowerforyou:
  • Creofan
    Creofan Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm not to the point of being weary, but there are those days where I want to relax my discipline. But I motivate myself for my eating like I do for exercise, and that is when I don't want to exercise i reflect on a different day where I didn't want to exercise and did it anyway and the positive feeling exercise provides... That brings me back on track again! It is going to happen to all of us, and the difference is recognizing where your mind is (which you did!) and recapturing the thought of the gains you have made to get your thinking back in order. Well worth the effort!!!