Bat wings

I’m 60 is it possible for me to lose/reduce my bat wings with diet and exercise?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    It really depends on genetics how much the skin will retract once one has lost weight.
    It can also make a difference how much weight one has to lose, or lost, and how long one has been o erweight.

Getting plenty of protein, .8-1g per lbs of lbm or ideal body weight if over weight, and a resistance/ weight lifting programme will help you get the best results possible.

It can take a couple of years or more to get the final results, but there is hope for improvement.
    My arms, at 64, ended up pretty good, but I only had 30 lbs to lose.

(Collagen and elastin levels and composition do change as we age, so we don't alway get as good results as we may have if we had lost weight in our 20's- 40's)

Cheers, h.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    I turn 60 in a couple of weeks, I lost 90 lbs over a couple of years, been in maintenance for over a year and yes, I too have bat wings.
    For the last 6 months I've been using hand weights at home and have noticed an improvement, but alas, I fear they will always be there.
    I do get compliments on my shoulders now, so that counts for something.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Remember, bat wings are essentially loose skin. I lost 70+ pounds when I was about 50, and in hindsight, I lost it too fast and without incorporating resistance training. I have major bat wings. I started lifting rather seriously a few years ago, partly to gain strength and to do something I know is good for my overall longevity, and partly to try to reduce my bat wings.

While I love weightlifting, and I went from barely being able to bench a bar to benching nearly 100 pounds and was able to move from bicep-curling 8-pound dumbbells to 20-pounders, triceps similar....I still have bat wings.

Unless you fill out that loose skin with muscle (extremely difficult), or remove it with surgery...OR, if you lose weight slow enough with incorporating resistance training to maintain as much muscle mass as possible...it's a big challenge.

But one I'd rather have than have those 70 pounds back on my body!!!
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Remember, bat wings are essentially loose skin. I lost 70+ pounds when I was about 50, and in hindsight, I lost it too fast and without incorporating resistance training. I have major bat wings. I started lifting rather seriously a few years ago, partly to gain strength and to do something I know is good for my overall longevity, and partly to try to reduce my bat wings.

While I love weightlifting, and I went from barely being able to bench a bar to benching nearly 100 pounds and was able to move from bicep-curling 8-pound dumbbells to 20-pounders, triceps similar....I still have bat wings.

Unless you fill out that loose skin with muscle (extremely difficult), or remove it with surgery...OR, if you lose weight slow enough with incorporating resistance training to maintain as much muscle mass as possible...it's a big challenge.

But one I'd rather have than have those 70 pounds back on my body!!!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    I'm "just" 41 but lost my weight in my thirties and have bat wings galore, they have firmed up very very slightly with continued maintenance at goal weight but I have to admit I don't lift weights at all. Anyway, I just wanted to chime in that I would much rather have bat wings than all of the excess weight (well over 100 lost). I have known a few women who had surgery to correct the problem and honestly it's not such a good result on either of the two ladies I know...both have considerable scarring and unnatural looking upper arms...just for whatever it's worth.