Lower GI type foods question/insulin resistance

Options
Hi ladies/gents. This is one of the few times I am posting on the boards about food/diet so bear with with.. ;)

Also, A portion of this might pertain to the ladies more than the guys on here, but as far as foods/exercise you may have more experience with that portion.

I was diagnosed with PCOS/ insulin could turn into pre- type 2 diabetes about a good 6-7 years ago, got that under control back then (with meds for a short time), but I pretty sure the pcos stays with woman for life once determined you have it ( by my endocrinologist at the time) I am not on any medications right now, and don't have health insurance so that isn't something I can go the route of atm.
My question is with general weight loss with people who are more prone to holding onto weight in their belly/ have a apple shape/ (me), what are some foods/recipes you have used used while keeping your sanity and following some sort of lower Glycemic index type food choices?
( I also eat between 1600-1750 calories a day and don't eat back my workouts. netting about 1300 or so).I also try to keep my macros balanced but lately my carbs have been awful high, and I feel like that is hindering me :/ So that is where the low gi/ foods come into play.

Thanks for reading/sharing your ideas.
- Liz

Replies

• rowdylibrarian
    rowdylibrarian Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested in knowing about some of those food choices, too! Thanks for sharing!
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I do best with everything PCOS related when I eat more protein and fat, and less carbs and sugar. You can have healthy carbs- fruit veggies and whole grains....but I still keep an eye on my fruit and whole grains. I am on metformin right now, but I don't need it anymore as I have lost weight. Losing weight and having a healthy body fat percentage really helps the insulin resistance. I just stay on it because it helps with some of the other symptoms. I hear some birth controls help too, but they have their own side effects. Really all you need to do is keep your protein and healthy fats high, keep your total sugar ( I count fruit, some non pcos people don't worry as much) And watch your carbs. You will notice a drop in cravings this way. You can look at my diary if you want, it's open. Some days I am far from perfect, but I do try most days. I also recommend some cinnamon, as it help regulate blood sugar, and avocados and nuts.

The rule of thumb is, don't dump more calories into your system than you can use in the time frame it takes for them to digest...which is why those white colored carbs are so dangerous. Your just going to store them as fat and want to eat something.

Some of my fav foods - almonds, avocado, protein powder (casein before bed, whey after workout), any nut, lean meat, shrimp, butter, olive oil, olives, eggs, eggs, more eggs, any veggie, fish,

Good luck!
  • gotogirl81
    gotogirl81 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I do best with everything PCOS related when I eat more protein and fat, and less carbs and sugar. You can have healthy carbs- fruit veggies and whole grains....but I still keep an eye on my fruit and whole grains. I am on metformin right now, but I don't need it anymore as I have lost weight. Losing weight and having a healthy body fat percentage really helps the insulin resistance. I just stay on it because it helps with some of the other symptoms. I hear some birth controls help too, but they have their own side effects. Really all you need to do is keep your protein and healthy fats high, keep your total sugar ( I count fruit, some non pcos people don't worry as much) And watch your carbs. You will notice a drop in cravings this way. You can look at my diary if you want, it's open. Some days I am far from perfect, but I do try most days. I also recommend some cinnamon, as it help regulate blood sugar, and avocados and nuts.

The rule of thumb is, don't dump more calories into your system than you can use in the time frame it takes for them to digest...which is why those white colored carbs are so dangerous. Your just going to store them as fat and want to eat something.

Some of my fav foods - almonds, avocado, protein powder (casein before bed, whey after workout), any nut, lean meat, shrimp, butter, olive oil, olives, eggs, eggs, more eggs, any veggie, fish,

Good luck!

thank you SO much. all great ideas/foods.
    I love nuts/nut butters so this shouldn't be a problem.
    MMMmmm almond butter.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Almond butter is the bomb! I also switched my regular milk over to almond, and flax milk. No sugar, lower in calories and tastes pretty darned good!