Questions about weighing in "stone"

2»

Replies

• MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Im i n the uk and both my doctors and our vets weigh in Kg.

however most weight loss groups (slimming world, weight watchers etc) all use st and bs

I use lbs though at the min as every lb I lose gets me a £ from the husband in my money bank to buy new clothes when I get where I want to be :D
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,175 Member
    I can assure you that when I paid $1.99 for the grapes that were on sale, I didn't get 1kg!

Suspiciously what I got was what was on the big part of the sign, and it came to just about 0.4536 of what was on the tiny letter part of the sign!

But it was weighed in grams!!! :wink:

• debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    generally the UK uses kg or lbs now
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Aside from differences in units of volume, one reason it's incorrect to call American measures "Imperial" as many do is that we lack this particular Imperial measure of weight.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    ccsernica wrote: »
    Aside from differences in units of volume, one reason it's incorrect to call American measures "Imperial" as many do is that we lack this particular Imperial measure of weight.

And your gallons are not Imperial gallons. I still think of fuel mileage in Imperial MPG. Cannot wrap my head around L/100KM.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    In both Australia and Canada we measure in kilograms. :)

Not in Canada. Canadians use lbs for body weight. I’ve never come across anyone who uses kilograms here, except they will convert lbs to kgs on drivers licences.

Really? I did. When I lived in Canada, we switched to metric when at some point in the 1970s and I used metric from that point on. Did Canada switch back to imperial since 2009? I haven't had that impression each time I've visited .........

Yes, we switched to metric, but no one uses kgs for body weight. The only place I’ve ever seen it is drivers licences, they will convert your weight and height to metric, but no one actually uses those for measurements. For height we use feet and inches and weight is lbs. Even doctors offices weigh you in lbs, at least all of the doctors my husband and I have gone to. I couldn’t even tell you my height and weight in metric. I have no idea. Everything else is metric, though. Well, most things.

My children's birth cards at the hospital were all written in grams (not even kilograms) so a 7 lb newborn would be recorded as 3200g, which we know is 3.2kg

My Identification Card shows my height as 177cm, which of course I usually state as 5' 10"
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

Not in Canada. Canadians use lbs for body weight. I’ve never come across anyone who uses kilograms here, except they will convert lbs to kgs on drivers licences.

Really? I did. When I lived in Canada, we switched to metric when at some point in the 1970s and I used metric from that point on. Did Canada switch back to imperial since 2009? I haven't had that impression each time I've visited .........

Yes, we switched to metric, but no one uses kgs for body weight. The only place I’ve ever seen it is drivers licences, they will convert your weight and height to metric, but no one actually uses those for measurements. For height we use feet and inches and weight is lbs. Even doctors offices weigh you in lbs, at least all of the doctors my husband and I have gone to. I couldn’t even tell you my height and weight in metric. I have no idea. Everything else is metric, though. Well, most things.

My children's birth cards at the hospital were all written in grams (not even kilograms) so a 7 lb newborn would be recorded as 3200g, which we know is 3.2kg

My Identification Card shows my height as 177cm, which of course I usually state as 5' 10"

Yeah, most official documents here use metric measurements, but that’s the only time I see it used. My husband has a medical condition that makes him not able to keep weight on, so he’s weighed at the hospital/doctors office very regularly. Always in lbs, no matter what hospital/clinic/doctor. I guess it’s different for babies!
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    In the UK we do use both, but I think it's very much a generational thing.
    I use both because, although brought up with imperial, metric is easier to use for technical things because "decimal system". I still have relatives who calculate prices into "old money" predating our decimal currency :smiley:
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,572 Member
    Interesting how things differ. Routine checkups in a doctor’s office in America measures height and weight in the Imperial system. But if calculating certain medications like IV chemo or some other drugs, the metric system is used.
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    I switched from using stones/pounds to just using pounds because it was easier to discuss with people on here, plus the digital scales always threw me off. If I ever discuss weight in real life I have to convert back into stones so they can understand. For some reason I hate the idea of using metric though so I've never used that for myself, although I do use it when weighing our snakes.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    edited March 2018

we definitely use pounds for bodyweight in Canada, other than for surgery I notice they've always made note of my weight in kg - other than that, everything and everything else I see discussed in pounds.

I think that the Kg. measurement is more on anything "official". For example here at my work they did some health screening and we were weighed in Kg. My doctor weighs me in Kg. I weigh in pounds at home. Most people say what they weigh in pounds but our driver's license states Kg. Sounds alot like the British stone vs kg.