Skinny man trying to get bigger and gain muscle mass? Please help!

Options
I am 23 and weighing 132lbs i am pretty skinny. I just don’t know where to start. I would like to get bigger and gain muscle mass. Please help on what to do!

Replies

• KevEverydayWit
    KevEverydayWit Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Go into your settings and change your goal to gain 1 pound a week. Use the macro percentages to get set your macros. These are your Carbs, Fats and Proteins. Have an idea of how heavy you’d like to get. Say your aiming for 170lbs set your protein intake at 170grams or there abouts. Because your skinny you’ve probably got a fast metabolism so keep your Carb intake reasonably high. Fats can make up the remaining. And of course hit the Gym with a beginners program if you’ve never lifted before. Hope this gives you a bit of a starting point. Best of luck on your journey.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Go into your settings and change your goal to gain 1 pound a week. Use the macro percentages to get set your macros. These are your Carbs, Fats and Proteins. Have an idea of how heavy you’d like to get. Say your aiming for 170lbs set your protein intake at 170grams or there abouts. Because your skinny you’ve probably got a fast metabolism so keep your Carb intake reasonably high. Fats can make up the remaining. And of course hit the Gym with a beginners program if you’ve never lifted before. Hope this gives you a bit of a starting point. Best of luck on your journey.

170g for a guy who's only 132 lbs is a little overkill for a goal. OP, 130g protein is adequate for you.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Do a brief, full-body routine 2-3 times a week.

Barbell squat, a press (bench, standing press or dips), and a pull (pull-ups or barbell rows) are the lifts to have in every workout. Throw in some calf raises and barbell curls. Deadlifts are good to do too.

3-5 sets of each. Focus on getting stronger.

Keep it simple. Stay away from the high volume routines you see on the internet and in the muscle mags.

No drugs.

Then eat a balanced diet with excess calories but not too many.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    This first place you should start is to get on a well structured beginner lifting routine, like: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Second, you should figure out how many calories you maintain at, which you can find out after a few weeks or a month of logging and then add 10 to 15% more calories. Aim for at around 130g of protein and fill in the rest with carbs and fats.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Do you enjoy lifting weights? Any experience with it at all?
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    rtharris91 wrote: »
    J_Fairfax wrote: »
    do curls and tricep pushdowns for your arms. and lots of them.

don't listen to those who say to only do heavy compound lifts and that will grow your arms - whilst these movements (squats/deadlift/bench/overhead press etc etc) are very important for overall strength, high volume work for your arms can and does work as a natural lifter to add size.

This ^

Also, training arms every day can in fact spur on growth in your calves due to the gravity effect of muscle protein breakdown/synthesis

wut?
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »

don't listen to those who say to only do heavy compound lifts and that will grow your arms - whilst these movements (squats/deadlift/bench/overhead press etc etc) are very important for overall strength, high volume work for your arms can and does work as a natural lifter to add size.

This ^

Also, training arms every day can in fact spur on growth in your calves due to the gravity effect of muscle protein breakdown/synthesis

wut?

I'm assuming it was a fecicious response.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »

This ^

wut?

I'm assuming it was a fecicious response.

I'd hope so - but you never know around here. ;)